Pop up is coming in discover screen after increasing network latency (20000ms)

Hi,

Use Case : I am using google chrome, and I set the network latency to 20000ms from throttling tab under the settings. Then go to the discover screen and click on the refresh button. it will process the page and it will show a pop up saying that "With an upgraded license, you can ensure requests have enough time to complete.". Here my question is, does it right scenario for this message, or what is the actual scenario when this pop up message will show. PFA screenshots for the reference.

Thanks.

Hi @Mohitj252

That message will appear when Kibana is making a search and it has not completed after (by default) 10 seconds. This is to give the user time to make the search a "background search" before the request to Kibana times out (30 seconds).

So, it makes sense in your scenario that this message should appear. A search request has been made, and that http request has not completed. Even though the actual ES Search has probably completed, it should still work as expected.

Hope that helps explain it.

Hi @corey.robertson

Thanks for the reply. I have one more doubt, here the pop is coming as "With an upgraded license, you can ensure requests have enough time to complete", 1. what all the extra functionality we can get with upgraded license. 2. Can we configure the default time out period, if yes, then which parameter we need to set.

@Mohitj252

Here are features included with our various licenses

You can configure several timeouts, in this case you would likely be concerned with the elasticsearch.requestTimeout which is when a request from Kibana to Elasticsearch will timeout. This is the default value of 30s that I mentioned above.

Hi @corey.robertson,

1. where I can configure "elasticsearch.requestTimeout" parameter.
  2. As I understood if the Kibana request not completed within 30 secs, will get "With an upgraded license, you can ensure requests have enough time to complete" pop up message, as well as will get proper response from the elastic search after completion of the request. if this is the case, then what all the extra will get with the upgraded license.

Hi @corey.robertson, I am eagerly waiting for your response.

@Mohitj252

1. You can set the elasticsearch.requestTimeout parameter in your kibana.yml file

2. If the request from Kibana to Elasticsearch does not complete within the 30 seconds, then it will timeout and you will not get a result. If you have a basic license, when that message pops up, you will have the option to "background" the request. That means it will close the request from Kibana to Elasticsearch, but continue to run the request on Elasticsearch and Kibana will periodically ping to see if the request has completed.

Hi @corey.robertson,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am bit unclear with the last line of the second statement, "That means it will close the request from Kibana to Elasticsearch, but continue to run the request on Elasticsearch and Kibana will periodically ping to see if the request has completed.", here Kibana will ping periodically, what is the use of that, does in the response Kibana will receive any data from the elastic search?

2. I am using OSS elastic version, what you think the behaviour would be? it will be different in case of OSS elastic version?

1. When the request is backgrounded, then you don't have to maintain an open connection from your browser to Kibana or from Kibana to Elasticsearch. Then you only periodically will have the pings which only report back if the request is completed or not, and then once it is completed, can return the result.

2. Async search is not part of the OSS version, so you would need to upgrade to a non-oss version to take advantage.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.