Problem understanding the concept of filebeat -> logstash

Well I got everything running .. at least partially. I am able to get logs from filebeat -> logstash -> elastic -> kibana

I have to admit i haven't read all documentation - which is way to much for my short time. But I seem to have an understanding problem.

I am using logstash as an "connection point". It receives data on a port and pushes it to elasticsearch - I am aware that filebeat is able to push directly to elastic but if there is a untypical log file created by software i can create a regex pattern by using a logstash filter combined with an IF condition - that's the reason for using logstash?!

But with this configuration it seems that filebeat is pushing the logs as plain text - I've thought that it is using templates and is working for most default log files - apache, syslog etc.

@timestamp: October 25th 2017, 13:05:45.611 offset: 96,200 @version: 1 beatname: testing_server beat.hostname: debian beat.version: 5.6.3 input_type: log host:debian
source: /var/log/daemon.log message: Oct 25 06:05:43 debian apachectl[913]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
type: logtags: beats_input_codec_plain_applied_id: AV9TNZefwb4CR4YbNQRC_type: log_index: filebeat-2017.10.25_score: -

Should be the bold part be parsed and not be within the message ?
What am I overlooking or am I completely wrong ?

PS: I will create another Topic later but maybe it is a very short answer.
Can i change the order of the tags in kibana? I prefer that the "message" is in a single/last line - which would make it easier to read?

Thanks!

I am aware that filebeat is able to push directly to elastic but if there is a untypical log file created by software i can create a regex pattern by using a logstash filter combined with an IF condition - that's the reason for using logstash?!

Yes, Logstash has richer features for parsing and processing logs.

Should be the bold part be parsed and not be within the message ?

Yes, the bold part should be chopped into separate fields. Getting that done is a typical use case for Logstash but recent Filebeat releases have a modules feature that might perform the same task. Unless you've enabled the right module Filebeat ships raw unparsed files.

Can i change the order of the tags in kibana?

I don't think so.

Thanks for the information.

While searching for these modules I've found: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/filebeat-template.html
So it it not compatible with logstash, right?

Thanks

Compatible in what sense?

"By default, Filebeat automatically loads the recommended template file, filebeat.template.json, if Elasticsearch output is enabled."
So the automatic parsing is only possible when filebeat -> elasticsearch is used and not filebeat ->logstash.

According to https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/filebeat-modules-overview.html you won't be able to use Filebeat modules together with Logstash.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.