Problem with multiple mapping types in 6.0. Not sure why

I have previously commented on another topic with a similar issue, but as that was beats related, and fixed by updates there, and mine is not, i a, creating this topic.

I am getting errors due to multiple mapping types, as per the 6.0 breaking changes, but i don't know why i have multiple mapping types.
The data is delivered by a powershell script which gathers performance counter data and sends it to logstash. My logstash configuration looks like this:

input {
tcp {
	port => 5560 
	codec => "json"
	type => ["performancecounter"]
  }
}

filter {
	if [type] == "performancecounter" {
		grok {
			match => { "CounterPath" => [ "\\\\%{DATA:hostname}\\%{DATA:countergroup}\(%{DATA:hostname}\\private\$\\%{DATA:service}\)\\%{GREEDYDATA:Counter}", 
										  "\\\\%{DATA:hostname}\\%{DATA:countergroup}\\%{GREEDYDATA:Counter}" ] }
	}

date { 
		"match" => [ "MeasureTime", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS" ]
		target => "@timestamp"
	}
  }
}

output {
	if [type] == "performancecounter" {
		elasticsearch { 
			hosts => ["172.22.22.195:9200"] 
			index => "performance-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
		}
	} 
}

With this i get the following error:

[2017-11-17T10:50:46,492][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"performance-2017.11.17", :_type=>"performancecounter", :_routing=>nil}, #<LogStash::Event:0x126f6108>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"performance-2017.11.17", "_type"=>"performancecounter", "_id"=>"9KhjyV8BDxseqbvrQakY", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"Rejecting mapping update to [performance-2017.11.17] as the final mapping would have more than 1 type: [performancecounter, json]"}}}}

I have tried to work around it by removing the type and using add_field to create a custom field, then check for that instead. But then i end up with this error:

[2017-11-17T10:58:27,378][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"performance-2017.11.17", :_type=>"doc", :_routing=>nil}, #<LogStash::Event:0x345fcc96>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"performance-2017.11.17", "_type"=>"doc", "_id"=>"dqhqyV8BDxseqbvrRboa", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"Rejecting mapping update to [performance-2017.11.17] as the final mapping would have more than 1 type: [json, doc]"}}}}

I have other powershell scripts gathering performance counter data and delivering them to very similar configurations and i don't get an error. Where is that JSON type comming from? Is there a way to strip this in the filter or output, removing one value or forcing a specific value? I have tried using mutate in the filter to replace the type field with a new (the same) value but it doesn't change anything.

Do you get any data indexed at all? Do you have any old index templates around that need to be updated?

Thank you @Christian_Dahlqvist, I hadn't thought about the templates. I had created two, for the offending indexes, to solve another issue a while back and forgot all about them. This is all a learning experience.

Everything is running again after the upgrade to 6.0 :smiley:

Did you run the Upgrade Assistant prior to upgrading?

No I dont use X-Pack. As i understand it, it's not free.

If you register for a Basic license, which is free, you get access to the Upgrade Assistant.
We'd highly recommend it.

Oh it wasn't aware. I will do that right away.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.