Problem with script in transform accessing an array

alerting

(Jettro Coenradie) #1

Hi, I want to return the length of an array in a transform script within the logging action. I am doing this:

"actions": {
    "log": {
      "transform": {
        "script": "return [total_snapshots : ctx.payload.snapshots.length]"
      },
      "logging": {
        "text": "Found {{ctx.payload.total_snapshots}} snapshots at {{ctx.execution_time}}"
      }
    }
  }

I can get back an array of objects using ct..payloaad.snapshots.snapshot but I want to have the length of the array. Does someone know whether this is possible and how?

Thanks.

(Jettro Coenradie) #2

I found the way to make this work, can't stop thinking I must have tried this before. Still it does work now with the following code:

"actions": {
    "log": {
      "transform": {
        "script": "return [total_snapshots : ctx.payload.snapshots.size()]"
      },
      "logging": {
        "text": "Found {{ctx.payload.total_snapshots}} snapshots at {{ctx.execution_time}}"
      }
    }
  }

(Steve Kearns) #3

Hi Jettro,

I'm glad you figured it out! Thanks for sharing the working solution :smile:

(Uri Boness) #4

Jettro, looks like snapshots is not an array, but a list? Is it by any chance coming from a json payload? for real "arrays" .length should indeed work (as well as size())

(Jettro Coenradie) #5

The payload is coming from this response, it looks line an array to me in Json. Not sure what groovy does with it though. From the jsonslurper documentation I read they convert arrays to lists. In that case what you're saying @url sounds like the reason. It is a List not and array.

{
   "snapshots": [
      {
         "snapshot": "conferences-20150619094018", //removed other fields
      },
      {
         "snapshot": "conferences-20150619113941",
      },
      {
         "snapshot": "conferences-20150621223930",
      },
      {
         "snapshot": "conferences-20150621224116",
      }
   ]
}

(Uri Boness) #6

so if it's coming from json, then actually its watcher that converts the json arrays to lists :)... I just wasn't sure where you're gettings snapshots from (it could have been from a script transform)

(system) #7