Problems upgrading cluster to ES 2.0

Ive upgraded my 2 node cluster to Elasticsearch 2.0. However, it seems like it's having some issues migrating my data.

[2015-12-04 09:12:24,391][WARN ][indices.cluster          ] [olympus-es01] [sendforth] failed to add mapping [user], source [{"user":{"_id":{"store":true,"in                                                                                                                                                                dex":"not_analyzed"},"properties":{"credits":{"type":"long"},"date_created":{"type":"date","format":"dateOptionalTime"},"device_id":{"type":"string"},"enable                                                                                                                                                                d":{"type":"boolean"},"last_msg_forwarded":{"type":"date","format":"dateOptionalTime"},"msgs_forwarded":{"type":"long"},"path":{"type":"string"},"token":{"ty                                                                                                                                                                pe":"string"}}}}]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Mapper for [_id] conflicts with existing mapping in other types:
[mapper [_id] has different [index] values, mapper [_id] has different [store] values]

That lead me to this github issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around or resolve that issue?

You need to reindex!

Also, make sure you read release notes before upgrading, as you would have caught this one then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I did read through the release notes but I guess I missed the part about no longer being able to customize _id.

Speaking of which. How exactly would I now reindex the data? Do I have to downgrade to the previous version of elasticsearch, reindex and then upgrade again or can I somehow do this without downgrading?