Query fails because of NullPointerException in QueryPhase


(Michel Conrad) #1

Hi, I am getting the following NullPointerException while searching, I
am using the master branch (rev 25eba4b6):

[2011-04-14 15:44:38,756][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [Calypso]
[19734] Failed to execute query phase
org.elasticsearch.search.query.QueryPhaseExecutionException:
[dsearch_all_3ae4][1]: query[(content_text:"doku soap"
content_text:fotos content_text:brüder) content_text:"tank
team"^2.0],from[0],size[10]: Query Failed [Failed to execute main
query]
at org.elasticsearch.search.query.QueryPhase.execute(QueryPhase.java:215)
at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeQueryPhase(SearchService.java:261)
at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction.sendExecuteQuery(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:164)
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchDfsQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.executeQuery(TransportSearchDfsQueryThenFetchAction.java:140)
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchDfsQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.access$200(TransportSearchDfsQueryThenFetchAction.java:63)
at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchDfsQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$2.run(TransportSearchDfsQueryThenFetchAction.java:127)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.elasticsearch.index.cache.filter.support.AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache$CacheMapEvictionListener.onEviction(AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java:263)
at org.elasticsearch.index.cache.filter.support.AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache$CacheMapEvictionListener.onEviction(AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java:254)
at org.elasticsearch.common.collect.CustomConcurrentHashMap.processPendingNotifications(CustomConcurrentHashMap.java:1501)
at org.elasticsearch.common.collect.CustomConcurrentHashMap$Segment.put(CustomConcurrentHashMap.java:2179)
at org.elasticsearch.common.collect.CustomConcurrentHashMap.putIfAbsent(CustomConcurrentHashMap.java:2593)
at org.elasticsearch.index.cache.filter.support.AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache$FilterCacheFilterWrapper.getDocIdSet(AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java:162)
at org.apache.lucene.search.FilteredQuery$1.scorer(FilteredQuery.java:120)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:517)
at org.elasticsearch.search.internal.ContextIndexSearcher.search(ContextIndexSearcher.java:169)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:384)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:291)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:279)
at org.elasticsearch.search.query.QueryPhase.execute(QueryPhase.java:211)
... 8 more


(Clinton Gormley) #2

Hi Michael

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but it looks
like you're not passing UTF8-encoded text to ElasticSearch:

[2011-04-14 15:44:38,756][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [Calypso]
[19734] Failed to execute query phase
org.elasticsearch.search.query.QueryPhaseExecutionException:
[dsearch_all_3ae4][1]: query[(content_text:"doku soap"
content_text:fotos content_text:brüder) content_text:"tank

                            ^^

does it work if you don't include that term?

clint


(Shay Banon) #3

Ahh, I see where it happens..., will push a fix for it soon.
On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java


(Shay Banon) #4

Pushed a fix.
On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Shay Banon wrote:

Ahh, I see where it happens..., will push a fix for it soon.
On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java


(Michel Conrad) #5

Thanks for the patch, I just tried it out and the exception is gone.

Although now I get another exception in the same context, I am using
up to 50 connections at once using a single client:
Could it be a concurrency problem?

[2011-04-14 19:45:55,676][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [Reject]
[72] Failed to execute fetch phase
org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException:
[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.search.SearchContextMissingException: No
search context found for id [72]
at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.findContext(SearchService.java:367)
at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeFetchPhase(SearchService.java:345)
at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:537)
at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:528)
at org.elasticsearch.transport.netty.MessageChannelHandler$RequestHandler.run(MessageChannelHandler.java:236)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
RemoteTransportException[[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]];
nested: SearchContextMissingException[No search context found for id
[72]];

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Shay Banon
shay.banon@elasticsearch.com wrote:

Pushed a fix.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Shay Banon wrote:

Ahh, I see where it happens..., will push a fix for it soon.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java


(Shay Banon) #6

Might be, the context is by default timed out (between the query and fetch phase) after 5 minutes, but I doubt its the case. Can you recreate it in a standalone testcase?
On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

Thanks for the patch, I just tried it out and the exception is gone.

Although now I get another exception in the same context, I am using
up to 50 connections at once using a single client:
Could it be a concurrency problem?

[2011-04-14 19:45:55,676][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [Reject]
[72] Failed to execute fetch phase
org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException:
[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.search.SearchContextMissingException: No
search context found for id [72]
at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.findContext(SearchService.java:367)
at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeFetchPhase(SearchService.java:345)
at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:537)
at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:528)
at org.elasticsearch.transport.netty.MessageChannelHandler$RequestHandler.run(MessageChannelHandler.java:236)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
RemoteTransportException[[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]];
nested: SearchContextMissingException[No search context found for id
[72]];

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Shay Banon
shay.banon@elasticsearch.com wrote:

Pushed a fix.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Shay Banon wrote:

Ahh, I see where it happens..., will push a fix for it soon.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java


(Michel Conrad) #7

Hi, I haven't been able to recreate the issue. Thanks for the clarification.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Shay Banon
shay.banon@elasticsearch.com wrote:

Might be, the context is by default timed out (between the query and fetch
phase) after 5 minutes, but I doubt its the case. Can you recreate it in a
standalone testcase?

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

Thanks for the patch, I just tried it out and the exception is gone.

Although now I get another exception in the same context, I am using
up to 50 connections at once using a single client:
Could it be a concurrency problem?

[2011-04-14 19:45:55,676][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [Reject]
[72] Failed to execute fetch phase
org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException:
[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.search.SearchContextMissingException: No
search context found for id [72]
at
org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.findContext(SearchService.java:367)
at
org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeFetchPhase(SearchService.java:345)
at
org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:537)
at
org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:528)
at
org.elasticsearch.transport.netty.MessageChannelHandler$$RequestHandler.run(MessageChannelHandler.java:236)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
RemoteTransportException[[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]];
nested: SearchContextMissingException[No search context found for id
[72]];

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Shay Banon
shay.banon@elasticsearch.com wrote:

Pushed a fix.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Shay Banon wrote:

Ahh, I see where it happens..., will push a fix for it soon.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java


(Shay Banon) #8

Damn, was hoping you could :). Well, if it happens again, ping me. Had another look, and ran some of the stress tests I have and things worked well.
On Friday, April 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

Hi, I haven't been able to recreate the issue. Thanks for the clarification.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Shay Banon
shay.banon@elasticsearch.com wrote:

Might be, the context is by default timed out (between the query and fetch
phase) after 5 minutes, but I doubt its the case. Can you recreate it in a
standalone testcase?

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

Thanks for the patch, I just tried it out and the exception is gone.

Although now I get another exception in the same context, I am using
up to 50 connections at once using a single client:
Could it be a concurrency problem?

[2011-04-14 19:45:55,676][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [Reject]
[72] Failed to execute fetch phase
org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException:
[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.search.SearchContextMissingException: No
search context found for id [72]
at
org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.findContext(SearchService.java:367)
at
org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeFetchPhase(SearchService.java:345)
at
org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:537)
at
org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction$SearchFetchByIdTransportHandler.messageReceived(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:528)
at
org.elasticsearch.transport.netty.MessageChannelHandler$$RequestHandler.run(MessageChannelHandler.java:236)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
RemoteTransportException[[Kirigi][inet[/192.168.1.191:9300]][search/phase/fetch/id]];
nested: SearchContextMissingException[No search context found for id
[72]];

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Shay Banon
shay.banon@elasticsearch.com wrote:

Pushed a fix.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Shay Banon wrote:

Ahh, I see where it happens..., will push a fix for it soon.

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michel Conrad wrote:

AbstractConcurrentMapFilterCache.java


(system) #9