Questions on system.diskio latency metrics

Hello, I am trying to get a better understanding of the disk io metrics below.
Included are the definitions for each per the Elastic documentation online.

system.diskio.read.time - total number of milliseconds spent by all reads
system.diskio.write.time - total number of milliseconds spent by all writes
system.diskio.iostat.await - average time spent for requests issued to the device to be served
system.diskio.iostat.service_time - average service time (in milliseconds) for I/O requests that were issued to the device

Q1: Is system.diskio.io.time equal to the average of system.diskio.read.time and system.diskio.write.time for a given time interval on a given device?

Q2: How does system.diskio.io.time relate to system.diskio.iostat.await?

Q3: Which metric is best to use to represent overall disk latencies - both reads and writes?

Thank you.

1. According to the kernel docs, time is "number of milliseconds spent doing I/Os". Based on my understanding, these fields measure I/O time differently, so read.time + write.time != io.time. There's a good summary here..

2. time is time spent in I/O operations, await is time spent waiting for I/O requests to be serviced. In theory, these two metrics should have no overlap.

3. Personally, I would use diskio.read and diskio.write as they would provide a fairly realistic measure individual IO times, but it depends on what your use case is.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.