Received message from unsupported version: [2.0.0] minimal compatible version is: [5.0.0]

When I am starting elastic server, I am continously getting the below exception:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Received message from unsupported version: [2.0.0] minimal compatible version is: [5.0.0]
at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.messageReceived(TcpTransport.java:1199) ~[elasticsearch-5.0.0.jar:5.0.0]
at org.elasticsearch.transport.netty4.Netty4MessageChannelHandler.channelRead(Netty4MessageChannelHandler.java:74) ~[transport-netty4-5.0.0.jar:5.0.0]
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:372) [netty-transport-4.1.5.Final.jar:4.1.5.Final]
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:358) [netty-transport-4.1.5.Final.jar:4.1.5.Final]

what could be the problem for the above error, I do not have any 2.0.0 version nodes running in the cluster

You probably have a Node or a Transport client somewhere running 2.0.0 which is trying to communicate with your node which is running 5.0.0?

Thanks David, I am sure there is no node running, I will check if there is any transport client which is running 2.0.0 and will update accordingly

Yes David, there was one transport client which was using 2.0.0, upgrading it to 5.0.0 fixed the issue. Thanks for the quick resolution.

How do i upgrade the transport client. I just installed elasticsearch and i'm not using any nodes

1 Like

I'd also like an answer to this - if you find one, please let me know!

thanks