Redundant syslog processing

I'm testing log collection from some Palo Alto firewalls and am considering what the best design might be for reliable and redundant log collection.

What do other do?

• Log to two collectors and have Elastic deduplicate the entries?
  • Run two log collectors on the same IP address.
    • Anycast / load-balanced / Heartbeat / Other?
  • Accept that is a log collector is down for maintenance, there are no logs.

Configure your firewall device to send logs to a load balancer, then behind this load balancer you will put 2 or more log collectors like Elastic Agent or Logstash for example.

If you use a load balancer like nginx or haproxy and also want redundancy for it you could have 2 or more servers running it and use a virtual ip address with keepalived to change the ip address if some of the servers go down.

1 Like

FYI, it did make me wonder if there's value in using 'assured' transmission. In the end, I went for plain and simple HA and round-robin load-balancing.

The reason for considering this was that HAProxy now supports a ring buffer, but a ring can only have one server. So to load-balance one would have to buffer to a loopback interface and then load-balance from there to two or more servers. Or vice versa (LB >> to multiple local frontends each with a with ring buffer and one server. Which sounds rather inefficient to me. This all gets confusing quickly, and I think one is better off reducing timers for health checks and fail-over.

Alternatively, Rsyslog can do reliable transmission with some buffering, but then I fail to see the point of combining HAProxy with Rsyslog, why not do it all without HAProxy then?

I switched to TCP transmission both from the sender and when forwarding to the collector, as then HAProxy can tell if a server is no longer available. UDP after all is fire and forget.