Regarding creating index pattern for .txt log files

Hello,

i have below requirement to achieve can anyone help me with this?

1.Need to scan performance logs from a directory(client), and parse them to ELK stack(server)

1. create index patterns using lostash.conf file for the same

2. use this index pattern and create graphs.

3. once these graphs are saved, is there any way to update to the same index name when new log files are scanned and index pattern created with same name?

My log files look like below.

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available

Mem: 128732 41030 44215 40285 43486 46630
Swap: 12287 0 12287

filebeat.yml file

filebeat.prospectors:

• input_type: log
    paths:

- /home/vankata/190_APS_QUALIFICATION/kalyan_elk_logs/free_data*.txt

• /home/vankata/190_APS_QUALIFICATION/Audproc_cscf11/free_data*.txt
      encoding: utf-8
      fields_under_root: true
      document_type: log
      fields:
      service_name: cfx
      app_name: cfx_perf_logs

logstash.config

input {
beats {
port => 5044
}
}

filter {
dissect {
mapping => {'message' => '%{mem_type} %{total_mem} %{used_mem} %{free_mem} %{shared_mem} %{cache_mem} %{availablemem}'}
}

}

output {
if [service_name] == "cfx" {
elasticsearch
{
#path => "/var/log/sdl_logs/%{vnf_id}/%{vm_type}/%{instance_id}/%{service_name}/%{app_name}%{+yyyy-MM-dd-HH}.log"
#codec => line { format => "%{message}" }
#gzip => true
hosts => ["http://x.x.x.x:9200"]
index => "perform1"
}
}
if [service_name] == "telemetry-agent" {
file{
path => "/var/log/sdl_logs/%{vnf_id}/%{vm_type}/%{instance_id}/%{service_name}/%{app_name}
%{+yyyy-MM-dd-HH}.log"
codec => line { format => "%{message}" }
#gzip => true
}
}
}

Its a very big question. If I was you, I would check every step individually.

You can load filebeat from the command line with -e -d "*" flag to show the results of harvesting the file to ensure it's configuration is working perfectly.

Then you can run Logstash from command line which will let you see the incoming logs from filebeat and whether they fields are mapped correctly and whether Logstash can communicate with elasticsearch.

Good luck!

@BKG i understand its big question!, thanks for your time, here is the output of binary runs.

2019-04-09T13:15:53.952+0530 DEBUG [prospector] log/prospector.go:362 Check file for harvesting: /home/vankata/190_APS_QUALIFICATION/Audproc_cscf11/free_data_11_09_03_40.txt
2019-04-09T13:15:53.952+0530 DEBUG [prospector] log/prospector.go:448 Update existing file for harvesting: /home/vankata/190_APS_QUALIFICATION/Audproc_cscf11/free_data_11_09_03_40.txt, offset: 204
2019-04-09T13:15:53.952+0530 DEBUG [prospector] log/prospector.go:502 File didn't change: /home/vankata/190_APS_QUALIFICATION/Audproc_cscf11/free_data_11_09_03_40.txt

from above what i can make out is, since file content is not changed harvesting is done ?

output {
if [service_name] == "cfx" {
elasticsearch
{
#path => "/var/log/sdl_logs/%{vnf_id}/%{vm_type}/%{instance_id}/%{service_name}/%{app_name}_%{+yyyy-MM-dd-HH}.log"
#codec => line { format => "%{message}" }
#gzip => true
hosts => ["http://x.x.x.x:9200"]
index => "perform1"

in the logstash i am giving output to kibana? so i wont be able to see the formatted output file in ELK setup, correct me if i am wrong.

thanks in advance

Is the file getting written to often enough to test?

You could set up a script to add to the file for testing purposes. Something like:

while true; echo "my,test,csv,data,goes,here" >> /home/vankata/190_APS_QUALIFICATION/Audproc_cscf11/free_data_11_09_03_40.txt; sleep 5; done;

right now the directory where i am working has fixed log files, i will change few files contents and try..

Hi @BKG,

below is the first line of log input.

Mem:         128732       44366       32347       40869       46018       42704

used filter in logstash:
filter {
dissect {
mapping => {'message' => '%{mem_type} %{total_mem} %{used_mem} %{free_mem} %{shared_mem} %{cache_mem} %{availablemem}'}
}

what i see in kibana dashboard Discover tab:

is this filter index output correctly mapped or should i use other type of filter, please let me know.

That tells dissect to expect a single space between the entries on the line. Your input has multiple spaces. dissect can handle that using -> in the field name.

dissect { mapping => {'message' => '%{mem_type->} %{total_mem->} %{used_mem->} %{free_mem->} %{shared_mem->} %{cache_mem->} %{availablemem}'} }

@Badger thanks, i will apply this change and try!

keeping below as the filter:
filter {
dissect {
mapping => {'message' => '%{mem_type->} %{total_mem->} %{used_mem->} %{free_mem->} %{shared_mem->} %{cache_mem->} %{availablemem->}'}
}

}

and input file as:

Mem:         128132       42349       38321       40870       46062       42720
Swap:         12387           0        12287

what i could see in kibana after index creation is:

here for mem_type: Mem - total_mem field is missing

here for mem_type:swap - free_mem is empty

can you please comment on this?

I am really surprised you do not get a _dissectfailure for that message.

You could make the dissect conditional

if [message] =~ /Mem:/ {
        dissect { mapping => {'message' => '%{mem_type->} %{total_mem->} %{used_mem->} %{free_mem->} %{shared_mem->} %{cache_mem->} %{availablemem}'} }
    } else if [message] =~ /Swap:/ {
        dissect { mapping => {'message' => '%{mem_type->} %{total_mem->} %{used_mem->} %{free_mem->}'} }
    }

Or you could use conditional fields in a grok filter

grok { match => { "message" => "%{WORD:mem_type}:\s+%{NUMBER:total_mem:int}\s+%{NUMBER:used_mem:int}\s+%{NUMBER:free_mem:int}(\s+%{NUMBER:shared_mem:int}\s+%{NUMBER:cache_mem:int}\s+%{NUMBER:availablemem:int})?" } }

Note the use of ( )? to make the last 3 fields optional.

thank you :slight_smile: @Badger

as i am giving output to kibana as above, will i be able to locate the index file in the ELK stack machine? if yes, where can i locate in case of .tar package installation on RHEL.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.