Release numbering and end of life

This is not a question, but after almost ten mails with an Elastic employee, i think that could be usefull to other people.

The start of the mails was to understand what mean end of live and end of support.

What i concluded is :

• The duration between two GA is almost one year , instead of 1,5 year as it is written on web site

• Minor version changes the second digit and is increased for new features, as it is explained on web site ( https://www.elastic.co/fr/support/eol )

• Debug version changes the third digit and is increased for debug, as it is explained on web site

• End of Life means that no more minor version is published

• End of support means that no more debug version is published

• After a GA, until the release of the GA+1, minor versions are published. In other words until the end of life, minor versions are published. In other words, during one year after the GA minor versions are published.

• For example, the 7.0.0 is released 2019/04, 7.X are published until the release of 8.0.0 id 2020/04 ( 2019/10+1).

• Debug versions of the last minor are published until the end of support, that's the release of the GA+2.

• The last debug version of a 7.X could be published until the release of the 9.0.0 (7+2): 2021/04 (one year after the 8.0.0).

I hoppe that's can help.

• 6.0.0 happened on November 14, 2017
  • 7.0.0 happened on April 10, 2019

For example, the 7.0.0 is released 2019/10, 7.X are published until the release of 8.0.0 id 2020/10 ( 2019/10+1).

So I'd not say that the next GA is happening exactly one year after.

What i understood is:

• on web site it is written 1,5 year
  • irl, it is around one year

but to compute date, it is easier to use exact number, it is "hard" to compute a date like 10/2020+one year but not exactly one year ...

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.