Remote Index Error: failed to process cluster event (put-mapping) within 30s

I am doing remote reindex (API _reindex) to migrate data from ES 1.4.4 to 5.1.1. From time to time, i got following errors:

"index": "nexttextindex",
                "type": "5db203a6d93f0dd29574a1fd51c6166e",
                "id": "https://yyyyy-stg.xxxxx.com/eps/sanvan/api/item/93750c13-68be-4c79-9f65-6b84d384a0e0/100/file/ChangingPlanet_0827/OPS/s9ml/chapter06/what_type_of_energy_will_we_be_using_in_the_year_2030_and_beyond.xhtml",
                "cause": {
                  "type": "process_cluster_event_timeout_exception",
                  "reason": "failed to process cluster event (put-mapping) within 30s"
                },
                "status": 503
              }```

any idea on how to get ride of it? Thanks for help!

That looks like a cluster state update where a new mapping is being propagated
is taking over 30 seconds.

Perhaps your re-indexing is introducing too many new fields at once? You may
want to pre-poppulate the mapping by manually doing a PUT /_mapping with the
correct mapping on the target index so that dynamic mapping updates aren't
necessary.

thanks for quick reply. As you can see in above case, uuid is used for doc type, under the doc type, there are 392 docs. The mapping for the doc type is like as followings. We have many different doc types (due to different uuid) with the same mappings (title, indexDate, content) for each doc type. How to do pre-poppulate the mapping by manually for our case? We don't know the uuid until the the data arrives. It's true that there are many mappings under the index because of many doc types. Anyway to change 30 seconds to longer time?

Basically, what I like to ask is: Is it possible for me to set default mapping at index level for all doc types? thanks!

{
"nexttextindex": {
"mappings": {
"5db203a6d93f0dd29574a1fd51c6166e": {
"properties": {
"content": {
"type": "string"
},
"indexDate": {
"type": "date",
"format": "dateOptionalTime"
},
"title": {
"type": "string"
}
}
}
}
}
}
}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.