Remove single quotes from a string

How do I remove single quotes from the message field using Logstash gsub filter? I've tried the syntax below, and it didn't work.

mutate {
    gsub => [ "[message]", "'", "" ] 
  }

mutate {
    gsub => [ "[message]", "\\'", "" ] 
  }

Example:

{ "description": "These are just random users' credentials." }

In the example above, the single quote is right after the word users. I just want to remove it, I don't need to replace it with anything else.

mutate { gsub => [ "[message]", "'", "" ] }

is the way to do it.

I was thinking the same, but I'm still getting an error.

This is the input/filter code.

input {
  generator {
    lines => [
      '{ "description": "These are just random users' credentials." }'
    ]
    count => 1
  }
}

filter {
  mutate {
    gsub => [ "[message]", "'", "" ] 
  }

Error:

[2021-05-03T04:30:41,717][ERROR][logstash.agent           ] Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"LogStash::ConfigurationError", :message=>"Expected one of [ \\t\\r\\n], \"#\", \"{\", \",\", \"]\" at line 4, column 55 (byte 92) after input {\n  generator {\n    lines => [\n      '{ \"description\": \"These are just random users' ", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/compiler.rb:32:in `compile_imperative'", "org/logstash/execution/AbstractPipelineExt.java:184:in `initialize'", "org/logstash/execution/JavaBasePipelineExt.java:69:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:47:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb:52:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:365:in `block in converge_state'"]}

The ' after users is closing out the ' at the start of the line, you need to escape it.

This makes sense now. It seems it's just harder to test this with the generator. I should be all good when I'm ready to pull logs via its primary method, logs won't be wrapped with single quotes.

Thanks!

I use a generator input a lot for testing things, but sometimes it is easier to put a line in a file, set sincedb_path to /dev/null, and use --config.reload.automatic to re-read the file every time you edit the configuration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.