Running installer script from URL in CentOS 7 does not respect parameters

The documentation for installing ECE on a second machine, mentions:

bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://download.elasticsearch.org/cloud/elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh) --coordinator-host HOST_IP"

However, I can't get the script to respect that parameter (or any other) in CentOS 7. I tried some other variations as well. This works fine though:

wget [...]
./elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh --coordinator-host x.x.x.x

I installed 1.0.0 alpha4 on CentOS 7.3 on azure .

I adjusted the command line by setting the parameter outside the double quote.

bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://download.elasticsearch.org/cloud/elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh)" --debug --installation-id runner-Manager1 --public-host-name xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --host-ip 10.0.0.4 --availability-zone west-us --capacity 11264 --coordinator-host 10.0.0.11

Thanks, that did indeed work. However, this does not work:

bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://download.elasticsearch.org/cloud/elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh)" --coordinator-host 10.0.0.xxx

While this works:

bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://download.elasticsearch.org/cloud/elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh)" --debug --coordinator-host 10.0.0.xxx

@Loek and @YuWatanabe,

I just tested moving the parameters outside the double quote, but I found that the --coordinator-host parameter got ignored. When you install this way on an additional host, do you get this output?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elastic Cloud Enterprise Installer 

Start setting up a new Elastic Cloud Enterprise installation by installing the software on your first host. 
This first host becomes the initial coordinator and provides access to the Cloud UI, where you can manage your installation. 
To learn more about the options you can specify, see the documentation. 

NOTE: If you want to add this host to an existing installation, please specify the --coordinator-host flag
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

If so, then you're starting a new ECE installation, not adding hosts to one (which could relate to your other post about not being able to specify fault tolerance with multiple zones, @YuWatanabe).

(There does seem to be an issue the documented command. I'm following up internally.)

Nik

It's a CentOS/RHEL thing it seems. Behavior by bash is different then in Ubuntu, or when the script is curled first. I found the ticket in github about this, I'm sure it will be fine.

@YuWatanabe @Loek_van_Gool in the mean time you can simply download the script and run it locally, e.g.
./elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh --coordinator-host HOST_IP.
This should work fine on all Linux distros.

@uricohen @nrichers @Loek

I got the same output as Nick did if I execute the shell with just --coordinator-host option .
Looks like Bootstrap node installation started and --coordinator-host option is ignored.

[root@Test creationline]# bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://download.elasticsearch.org/cloud/elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh)" --coordinator-host 10.0.0.11

Start setting up a new Elastic Cloud Enterprise installation by installing the software on your first host.
This first host becomes the initial coordinator and provides access to the Cloud UI, where you can manage your installation.

NOTE: If you want to add this host to an existing installation, please specify the --coordinator-host flag
-- Please supply the following configuration details --
Installation ID: [runner-3BSWR4] test
Public Hostname: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Host IP: 10.0.0.13
Availability Zone: [ece-region-1a] west-us
Capacity: [8192] 4196
-- All configuration details have been supplied --

-- Verifying Prerequisites --
Checking host storage path... PASSED
Checking docker version... PASSED
Checking internal hostname connectivity... PASSED
Checking internal ip connectivity... PASSED
Checking OS settings... PASSED
-- Completed Verifying Prerequisites --

- Running Bootstrap container
- Monitoring bootstrap process
- Loaded bootstrap settings

I will do another installation after downloading the shell and executing the script.

Installation shell ended properly when shell script is manually downloaded and executed.

[root@Test src]# ./elastic-cloud-enterprise-installer.sh --coordinator-host 10.0.0.11

Install Elastic Cloud Enterprise on this host to add its resources to an existing installation.
After installation is complete, the host becomes a runner that you can assign a role to in the Cloud UI.
-- Please supply the following configuration details --
Installation ID: [runner-2FXMGA] test
Public Hostname: 13.64.255.211
Host IP: 10.0.0.13
Availability Zone: [ece-region-1b] west-us
Capacity: [8192] 4196
-- All configuration details have been supplied --

-- Verifying Prerequisites --
Checking host storage path... PASSED
Checking docker version... PASSED
Checking internal hostname connectivity... PASSED
Checking internal ip connectivity... PASSED
Checking coordinator connectivity... PASSED
Checking OS settings... PASSED
-- Completed Verifying Prerequisites --

- Running Bootstrap container
- Monitoring bootstrap process
- Loaded bootstrap settings for additional host
- Core services started.
- Starting local runner
- Started local runner
- Waiting for runner container node
- Runner container node detected
- Updating containers (adding local client forwarder and runner)
- Shutting down additional host bootstrapper
- Exiting bootstrapper
Elastic Cloud Enterprise Installer Completed Successfully

Error response from daemon: Unable to remove filesystem for d79e2954a551c554eea7f105c38fc03bdab76668e682bc3ffc0f14c8cd72b54c: remove /mnt/data/docker/containers/d79e2954a551c554eea7f105c38fc03bdab76668e682bc3ffc0f14c8cd72b54c/shm: device or resource busy

@Loek

Would you mind adding the github link ?

Thanks for the update @YuWatanabe, glad to hear it worked.
Unfortunately this is managed in a private GitHub repo so we can't link to the issue.

@uricohen

Oh. Ok . I thought it was the public git hub . Thanks anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.