Script painless : null_pointer_exception

Hello,

I have a null_pointer_exception error in my painless script when trying to modify all the data in an index. Indeed when I modify a line, the modification passes correctly but if I generalize it to all the data I have the error null_pointer_exception.

Below my code:

POST data-2018.02.20/_update_by_query
{
"query" : {
"match_all": {}
},
"script" : {
"source": "ctx._source.station.gps_geo_point.location = [ctx._source.station.gps.longitude,ctx._source.station.gps.latitude]",
"lang": "painless"
 }
}

And here is the error I get:

{
"error": {
  "root_cause": [
   {
    "type": "script_exception",
    "reason": "runtime error",
    "script_stack": [],
    "script": "ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [ctx._source.station.gps.longitude,ctx._source.station.gps.latitude]",
  }
 ],
  "script": "ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [ctx._source.station.gps.longitude,ctx._source.station.gps.latitude]",
  "lang": "painless",
"caused_by": {
   "type": "null_pointer_exception",
    "reason": null
   }
  },
  "status": 500
 }

PS: my version elastisearch is 5.6.8

Thank you in advance for your help

1 Like

You need to test if the field you want to access exists or not before using it IMO.

1 Like

Thank you for answering me,

Can you give me an example? because i don't know whether to do it with the query exists or a condition in the painless script.

thank you!

I think you can try https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/painless/master/_operators.html#_null_safe

(I never used yet). Otherwise a condition like if ( ... ) { } else { }...

1 Like

OK thanks,
I'm going to test it and I'll confirm

Thank you for your help!

Hello dadoonet,

I tried with the operator null safe (?.) without success finally I opted with the condition if. But I still have a null_pointer_exception error.

Here is my code (note that I go a && to be sure that both fields are not null):

POST DATA-2018.02.20/_update_by_query
{
"query" : {
    "match_all": {}
},
"script" : {
    "source": "if(ctx._source.station.gps.longitude != null && ctx._source.station.gps.latitude != null) {ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [ctx._source.station.gps.longitude,ctx._source.station.gps.latitude]} else {ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [0,0]}",
 }
}

Error :

{
 "error": {
"root_cause": [
  {
    "script": "if(ctx._source.station.gps.longitude != null && ctx._source.station.gps.latitude != null) {ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [ctx._source.station.gps.longitude,ctx._source.station.gps.latitude]} else {ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [0,0]}",
  }
],
"script": "if(ctx._source.station.gps.longitude != null && ctx._source.station.gps.latitude != null) {ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [ctx._source.station.gps.longitude,ctx._source.station.gps.latitude]} else {ctx._source['station.gps_geo_point.location'] = [0,0]}",
"lang": "painless",
"caused_by": {
  "type": "null_pointer_exception",
  "reason": null
}
},
"status": 500
}

I do not know why it does not work. The code seems correct to me to consider the null fields.

thank you in advance for your help!

2 Likes

I think you should check:

ctx._source.station.gps

And may be

ctx._source.station
1 Like

Thank you dadoonet,
It works. it was ctx._source.station.

Thank you very much for your help :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.