Search type in custom score queries

I am doing some normal custom queries through the java api, and some custom score queries through the java api.

My non scored queries used SearchType DFS_QUERY_THEN_FETCH. However, I see in the unit test org.elasticsearch.test.integration.search.customscore.CustomScoreSearchTests that the SearchType is QUERY_THEN_FETCH.

A few questions:

1. Is QUERY_THEN_FETCH the preferred (or mandatory) search type for custom score queries?
  2. Either way, I'm getting failures if I do custom score queries (although they worked before, not sure why I have the problems now). If I do a custom score query with DFS_QUERY_THEN_FETCH, I get no results back. If I do QUERY_THEN_FETCH, the the client gets this CLIENT EXCEPTION below, and the server prints the SERVER ERROR below. When I do the exact same query but without custom scoring (using DFS_QUERY_THEN_FETCH) I get the correct results back.

CLIENT EXCEPTION: (when doing custom score with QUERY_THEN_FETCH)
org.elasticsearch.action.search.SearchPhaseExecutionException: Failed to execute phase [query], total failure; shardFailures {[3ccbea0e-b8d6-4440-af3a-71761b3eabfa][index0][1]: RemoteTransportException[[Thena][inet[/10.3.3.156:9300]][search/phase/query]]; nested: QueryPhaseExecutionException[[index0][1]: query[custom score .(+userId:34c40bec15234b4abb900413d464c68b +(body:subject* subject:subject* to:subject* from:subject* cc:subject*),function=org.elasticsearch.index.query.xcontent.CustomScoreQueryParser$ScriptScoreFunction@113ee167)],from[0],size[1000]: Query Failed [Failed to execute main query]];....

SERVER ERROR: (when doing custom score with QUERY_THEN_FETCH)
[12:03:31,942][INFO ][cluster.service ] [Thena] removed {[Balder][292c279e-cae2-435a-a94e-85f9fd6dadf0][inet[/10.3.3.156:9302]]{client=true, data=false, zen.master=false},}, reason: zen-disco-node_failed([Balder][292c279e-cae2-435a-a94e-85f9fd6dadf0][inet[/10.3.3.156:9302]]{client=true, data=false, zen.master=false}), reason transport disconnected

I should add that when I do the QUERY_THEN_FETCH and get the error server-side reading 'transport disconnected', I can still go back with the same client instance and index more documents without any reconnect steps.

Please ignore the stuff about the "SERVER ERROR" above. That has nothing to do with it; it was just the normal message logged on the server when my test is done and goes out of scope. It happens even on the successful non-sorted queries when the test client vm goes away. Sorry. However, I still do believe the client-side exception is a problem.

I fixed the exception - I had mapped the field I wanted to sort on as a string and not a float. Sorry. But still, if you could comment on the preferred QueryType for sorted searches, I'd appreciate it.

The preferred type is QUERY_THEN_FETCH, thats why its the default ;). if you
want exact scoring, then you can use DFS one (assuming the distribution of
terms is really different between shards).

-shay.banon

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:42 PM, John Chang jchangkihtest2@gmail.comwrote:

I fixed the exception - I had mapped the field I wanted to sort on as a
string and not a float. Sorry. But still, if you could comment on the
preferred QueryType for sorted searches, I'd appreciate it.

View this message in context:
http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/Search-type-in-custom-score-queries-tp1230940p1232662.html
Sent from the Elasticsearch Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.