Security troubles - java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors (ca.crt matches on all nodes)

Note that this entire cluster was working fine up 'til I updated certificates. I'm on Elasticsearch 7.5.

I updated my certificates using the certificate-util - created a server.yml with all my servers and the Kibana node in it, ran the utility with -pem, -multiple, and --keep-ca-key, passed the ca.crt and the various node certificates out to the nodes, made sure the elasticsearch.yml and kibana.yml files pointed to them as appropriate, and did a rolling restart. And then everything fell apart.

The main issue - the one I'm currently having at least - is that I'm getting the error in the topic. In full, a log from an Elastic node it's talking to:

[2023-01-07T17:08:23,544][WARN ][o.e.t.TcpTransport       ] [elastic #2] exception caught on transport layer [Netty4TcpChannel{localAddress=/elastic #02:9300, remoteAddress=/Kibana Node:41638}], closing connection
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:473) ~[netty-codec-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:281) ~[netty-codec-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:374) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:360) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:352) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1422) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:374) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:360) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:931) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:163) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:700) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysPlain(NioEventLoop.java:600) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:554) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:514) [netty-transport-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$6.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:1050) [netty-common-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74) [netty-common-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:830) [?:?]
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:324) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:267) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:262) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkClientCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1275) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1178) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1159) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:396) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:444) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1260) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1247) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:691) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1192) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runAllDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1502) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1516) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.unwrap(SslHandler.java:1400) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decodeJdkCompatible(SslHandler.java:1227) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decode(SslHandler.java:1274) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:503) ~[netty-codec-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:442) ~[netty-codec-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        ... 16 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:349) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:258) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:264) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:285) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkClientTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:138) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkClientCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1253) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1178) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1159) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1260) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1247) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:691) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1192) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runAllDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1502) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1516) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.unwrap(SslHandler.java:1400) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decodeJdkCompatible(SslHandler.java:1227) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decode(SslHandler.java:1274) ~[netty-handler-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:503) ~[netty-codec-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:442) ~[netty-codec-4.1.43.Final.jar:4.1.43.Final]
        ... 16 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
        at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.validate(PKIXCertPathValidator.java:158) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.engineValidate(PKIXCertPathValidator.java:84) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.cert.CertPathValidator.validate(CertPathValidator.java:309) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:344) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:258) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:264) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:285) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkClientTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:138) ~[?:?]
        at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkClientCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1253) ~[?:?]
        ... 16 more

All of my nodes are giving a similar error.

On the surface, it looks fairly straightforward - you'd think the ca.crt is wrong on the Kibana node (at least, that's what I found from searching.) If it's wrong though, I don't know why - it's literally the same ca.crt as I've got on all the nodes.

As far as I can tell, I don't have a keystore explicitly configured, and the output from elasticsearch-keystore looks like the following:

[root@Kibana Node kibana]# /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-keystore list
bootstrap.password
keystore.seed
xpack.security.authc.realms.active_directory.platform_ad.secure_bind_password

If Java's got a keystore, I can't locate that either, at least with the name "keystore" - if someone knows where that might be configured, it'd probably be a good next step.

I'm not sure what else I could do to troubleshoot - my Google-fu is failing me (and everything I found pointed at the CA indeed being the problem, in the simplest manner - they mismatched. If they're mismatched in this case, it's the fault of the certutil :wink: )

Elasticsearch 7.5 is EOL and no longer supported. Please upgrade ASAP.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.