Service Metricset: System Call Level Is Not Correct

I am in the process of setting up MetricBeat on a Windows 2003 Server. So far, the normal checks are in place on Kibana that monitor CPU, Memory and Disk Space.

However, I am facing an issue when I come to monitor the services running on the server. When I check the metricbeat log, and the results when searching for the windows module in Kibana I am given the following error: "The system call level is not correct."

I have verified the configuration and tried granting the directory with the metricbeat.exe heightened privileges.

Has anyone else come across this issue before when adding the service metricset to a machine and has any idea on what might be causing this issue, or could this be a compatibility issue with Windows Server 2003?

Thanks in advance

I took a look at the source code to try to reason about where that error could be coming from. That error message is for a ERROR_INVALID_LEVEL.

Of the system calls used, only EnumServicesStatusEx documents that it can return ERROR_INVALID_LEVEL. But Metricbeat uses the one and only level value when making the call so I don't see why Windows would be returning that error.

Unfortunately Windows 2003 is not one of our officially supported operating systems and we don't do any testing on it.

What service pack level does this host have installed?
What is the OS architecture? 32 or 64-bit?

Thank you for your response,

I had a research around to see if there is anything that could be causing issues with the EnumServicesStatusEx function that I could fix. There doesn't appear to be any answers I can find at the moment.

The OS is currently Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with service pack 2. This is on a 32 bit version of windows.

Thanks,
Jordan

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.