Setting up IIS log collection with filebeat

I'm trying to collect IIS logs with filebeat. Here is my filebeat yml file
How do I configure logstash yml and do I need to create new index in kibana? I'm new to ELK stack any help is appreciated

filebeat.prospectors:

• type: log
    enabled: true
    paths:
    - C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1296615932*
    document_type: iis_log
    fields:
    iis: true
    filebeat.config.modules:
    path: ${path.config}/modules.d/*.yml
    reload.enabled: false
    setup.template.settings:
    index.number_of_shards: 3
    setup.kibana:
    output.logstash:
    hosts: ["sna-wsus01:5044"]

How do I configure logstash yml

You probably won't have to touch that file but you do need to set up your Logstash pipeline configuration. See Installing Logstash | Logstash Reference [8.11] | Elastic.

and do I need to create new index in kibana?

No, but probably an index pattern that selects the index(es) that you configure Logstash to write to.

Magnus, I've created logstash.conf file below and getting this error when trying to run it

PS D:\Elastic\Logstash\bin> .\logstash.bat -f logstash.conf
Sending Logstash's logs to D:/Elastic/Logstash/logs which is now configured via log4j2.properties
[2018-06-18T14:51:01,691][INFO ][logstash.modules.scaffold] Initializing module {:module_name=>"fb_apache", :directory=>"D:/Elastic/Logstash/modules/fb_apache/configuration"}
[2018-06-18T14:51:01,722][INFO ][logstash.modules.scaffold] Initializing module {:module_name=>"netflow", :directory=>"D:/Elastic/Logstash/modules/netflow/configuration"}
[2018-06-18T14:51:01,800][FATAL][logstash.runner ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<ArgumentError: Setting "" hasn't been registered>, :backtrace=>["D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:37:in get_setting'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:70:inset_value'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:89:in block in merge'", "org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1343:ineach'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:89:in merge'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:138:inva
lidate_all'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:264:in execute'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:inrun'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:219:in run'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:inrun'", "D:\Elastic\Logstash\lib\bootstrap\environment.rb:67:in `'"]}
[2018-06-18T14:51:01,816][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash ] java.lang.IllegalStateException:org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (SystemExit) exit

LOGSTASH.CONF

We have IIS configured to use a single log file for all sites

because logstash can't handle parsing files in different

directories if they have the same name.

input {
beats {
port => 5044
type => 'iis'
}
}

filter {

Ignore the comments that IIS will add to the start of the W3C logs

if [message] =~ "^#" {
drop {}
}

grok {
## Very helpful site for building these statements:
# http://grokdebug.herokuapp.com/
#
# This is configured to parse out every field of IIS's W3C format when
# every field is included in the logs
#
match => ["message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:log_timestamp} %{WORD:serviceName} %{WORD:serverName} %{IP:serverIP} %{WORD:method} %{URIPATH:uriStem} %{NOTSPACE:uriQuery} %{NUMBER:port} %{NOTSPACE:username} %{IPORHOST:clientIP} %{NOTSPACE:protocolVersion} %{NOTSPACE:userAgent} %{NOTSPACE:cookie} %{NOTSPACE:referer} %{NOTSPACE:requestHost} %{NUMBER:response} %{NUMBER:subresponse} %{NUMBER:win32response} %{NUMBER:bytesSent} %{NUMBER:bytesReceived} %{NUMBER:timetaken}"]
}
date {
match => [ "timestamp", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" ]
locale => "en"
}
}

Second filter

filter {
if "_grokparsefailure" in [tags] {

} else {
# on success remove the message field to save space
mutate {
  remove_field => ["message", "timestamp"]
}

}
}

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["sna-wsus01:9200"]
index => "logstash-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
template => "./conf/logstash-template.json"
template_name => "logstash"
document_type => "iis"
template_overwrite => true
manage_template => true
}
}

Also I noticed that the error
[ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash ] java.lang.IllegalStateException:org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (SystemExit) exit is because of write permissions to data folder - so I gave everyone permissions to write but still generating same error. Could be issue with Java ? Server is using Java version 8 update 171

I've tried changing logstash.conf as follows but error persists

input {
beats {
port => 5044
}
}

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["sna-wsus01:9200"]
index => "logstash-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
template => "./conf/logstash-template.json"
template_name => "logstash"
document_type => "iis"
template_overwrite => true
manage_template => true
}
}

PS D:\Elastic\Logstash\bin> .\logstash.bat -f "logstash.conf"
Sending Logstash's logs to D:/Elastic/Logstash/logs which is now configured via log4j2.properties
[2018-06-18T15:35:08,871][INFO ][logstash.modules.scaffold] Initializing module {:module_name=>"fb_apache", :directory=>"D:/Elastic/Logstash/modules/fb_apache/configuration"}
[2018-06-18T15:35:08,902][INFO ][logstash.modules.scaffold] Initializing module {:module_name=>"netflow", :directory=>"D:/Elastic/Logstash/modules/netflow/configuration"}
[2018-06-18T15:35:08,981][FATAL][logstash.runner ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<ArgumentError: Setting "" hasn't been registered>, :backtrace=>["D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:37:in get_setting'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:70:inset_value'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:89:in block in merge'", "org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1343:ineach'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:89:in merge'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:138:inva
lidate_all'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:264:in execute'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:inrun'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:219:in run'", "D:/Elastic/Logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:inrun'
", "D:\Elastic\Logstash\lib\bootstrap\environment.rb:67:in `'"]}
[2018-06-18T15:35:09,012][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash ] java.lang.IllegalStateException: org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (SystemExit) exit

It looks like it finds something it doesn't like in the settings file. Increasing the log level could give additional clues.

Found the issue with the config file

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.