Should doc['field_name'] remove duplicates?

I am running elasticsearch 6.3 and try to perform a terms aggregation with a script as source. In the script, I use doc values to access a list that contains duplicates. It seems like all duplicates are removed when I use doc['my_field1'] to access the field. Is it supposed to be like that?

Snippet from my document:
{
"my_field1": ["a", "a", "b", "b"],
"my_field2": ["c", "d", "e", "f"]
}

Snippet of my code:

"aggregations": {
    "terms_agg1": {
      "terms": {
        "script": {
          "source": "\n String returnString = '';\n for (int i = 0; i < doc['my_field1'].length; i++) { returnString += doc['my_field1'][i] + ';' + doc['my_field2'][i] + ')') } return returnString ",
          "lang": "painless"
        }
      }
    }
}

I expected that the entire content of my_field1 and my_field2 would be iterated in the script, but the former is read in as ["a", "b"] and hence my loop only iterates the lists two times.

As far as I can see, the doc_values documentation does not say anything about removing duplicates. I understand that the aggregation will eventually remove duplicates, but that should not apply to the source of the script, should it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.