Should I disable scroll time if I don't explicitly use scroll in any search or index operation?

Hello!

So I am not (as far as I am aware) using the Scroll API, and yet I was able to get the "Trying to create too many scroll contexts. Must be less than or equal to: [500]" error.

From searching around, I am under the understanding that Scroll API is used when regular pagination size is not enough, and thus you are asking ES to hold the state open for a little longer.

I have bumped the "search.max_open_scroll_context" but nothing about my searches indicate that I am using a scroll context.

I assume the defaults are sane, but perhaps It would be wise of me to disable scroll (set it to zero time) rather than bumping the max window and using more memory than I need to.

Can I get some advice?

Thanks very much!!

Hi @arifd,

Welcome to the community! Which version of Elasticsearch are you using? Can you share the particular search query or operation where you are seeing that error?

I don't think it would be wise to disable scroll, but if we can figure out where you're using it we can perhaps look at an alternative query using search_after as per the documentation.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.