Hi,

What are the core architectural differences between these technologies?

Also, what use cases are generally more appropriate for each?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Historically there used to be feature differences between the two, but a lot of that has been aligned. You can see some differences here http://solr-vs-elasticsearch.com/, but it's not 100% accurate.

There are still differences in deployment models. Solr has a number of models and my understanding is you cannot easily change once you have made a choice. Elasticsearch assumes you will want to cluster and provides that ability, even from a single node deployment.

My overall understanding of various readings and talking to people is that Elasticsearch tends to abstract a lot of settings and functionality to increase ease of use, while Solr provides access to every possible thing but you need to configure it.

(Note - I haven't directly used Solr, only Elasticsearch, just read lots and talked to people more knowledgeable than me. I am happy to be corrected if there's anything inaccurate above and don't mean to be intentionally misleading!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.