(johny kopparapu) #1

Hi,

What are the core architectural differences between these technologies?

Also, what use cases are generally more appropriate for each?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

(Mark Walkom) #2

Historically there used to be feature differences between the two, but a lot of that has been aligned. You can see some differences here http://solr-vs-elasticsearch.com/, but it's not 100% accurate.

There are still differences in deployment models. Solr has a number of models and my understanding is you cannot easily change once you have made a choice. Elasticsearch assumes you will want to cluster and provides that ability, even from a single node deployment.

My overall understanding of various readings and talking to people is that Elasticsearch tends to abstract a lot of settings and functionality to increase ease of use, while Solr provides access to every possible thing but you need to configure it.

(Note - I haven't directly used Solr, only Elasticsearch, just read lots and talked to people more knowledgeable than me. I am happy to be corrected if there's anything inaccurate above and don't mean to be intentionally misleading!)

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.