Snapshot and Restore process

(Kabali12345) #1

Hi all...

I understand from the documentation that the snapshot process takes a full backup for the first snapshot and there on goes with incremental backups. That being the case, I will have to retain my original snapshot and subsequent snaphots for ever and may not rotate the snapshots. Am I understanding this correctly? Is there a way I can force a full index or cluster backup for a given snapshot? Any ideas on how to work with snapshot rotation such that at any point in time, I have a full cluster backup? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank You.

(David Pilato) #2

That being the case, I will have to retain my original snapshot and subsequent snaphots for ever and may not rotate the snapshots. Am I understanding this correctly?

No. You can remove any snapshot you want. Just think of a snapshot as a set of file pointers to segments.
If your snap1 references segments A, B and C and snap 2 references segments A, B, and D (only D is copied when you run the snap2 snapshot), then when you remove snap1, only segment C is removed.

Which means you can restore snap2 safely as it has always needed files for it.

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.