Snapshot and Restore process

Hi all...

I understand from the documentation that the snapshot process takes a full backup for the first snapshot and there on goes with incremental backups. That being the case, I will have to retain my original snapshot and subsequent snaphots for ever and may not rotate the snapshots. Am I understanding this correctly? Is there a way I can force a full index or cluster backup for a given snapshot? Any ideas on how to work with snapshot rotation such that at any point in time, I have a full cluster backup? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank You.

That being the case, I will have to retain my original snapshot and subsequent snaphots for ever and may not rotate the snapshots. Am I understanding this correctly?

No. You can remove any snapshot you want. Just think of a snapshot as a set of file pointers to segments.
If your snap1 references segments A, B and C and snap 2 references segments A, B, and D (only D is copied when you run the snap2 snapshot), then when you remove snap1, only segment C is removed.

Which means you can restore snap2 safely as it has always needed files for it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.