Solution for slow queries with parent / child?


(AoN) #1

I am currently wondering if i should use the parent / child feature because
of the slow query times. I am aware that it is slow because of the ids
having to be loaded into the memory on the first query. In the index right
now a parent doc will have many child docs. There will be potentially
thousands or more parent and child docs being added every second.
I need to know if there is a solution or planned fix for this?


(Shay Banon) #2

When you say its slow, is it the first part that loads the ids to memory
that is slow, or the query itself once things are loaded that is slow
(simply executing the query several times, causing the ids to be loaded,
and then check how long it takes).

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM, AoN aonxkilla@gmail.com wrote:

I am currently wondering if i should use the parent / child feature
because of the slow query times. I am aware that it is slow because of the
ids having to be loaded into the memory on the first query. In the index
right now a parent doc will have many child docs. There will be potentially
thousands or more parent and child docs being added every second.
I need to know if there is a solution or planned fix for this?


(AoN) #3

It's the ids being loaded into the memory that makes it slow not the query
itself.
On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:08:45 AM UTC-5, kimchy wrote:

When you say its slow, is it the first part that loads the ids to memory
that is slow, or the query itself once things are loaded that is slow
(simply executing the query several times, causing the ids to be loaded,
and then check how long it takes).

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM, AoN wrote:

I am currently wondering if i should use the parent / child feature
because of the slow query times. I am aware that it is slow because of the
ids having to be loaded into the memory on the first query. In the index
right now a parent doc will have many child docs. There will be potentially
thousands or more parent and child docs being added every second.
I need to know if there is a solution or planned fix for this?


(Shay Banon) #4

I see. We can definitely have another look and see if it can be optimized,
but the "cost" of it is mostly for the first query where the large time is
spent.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM, AoN aonxkilla@gmail.com wrote:

It's the ids being loaded into the memory that makes it slow not the query
itself.

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:08:45 AM UTC-5, kimchy wrote:

When you say its slow, is it the first part that loads the ids to memory
that is slow, or the query itself once things are loaded that is slow
(simply executing the query several times, causing the ids to be loaded,
and then check how long it takes).

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM, AoN wrote:

I am currently wondering if i should use the parent / child feature

because of the slow query times. I am aware that it is slow because of the
ids having to be loaded into the memory on the first query. In the index
right now a parent doc will have many child docs. There will be potentially
thousands or more parent and child docs being added every second.
I need to know if there is a solution or planned fix for this?


(AoN) #5

Thanks! Let me know if you can optimize it.

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:28:13 AM UTC-5, kimchy wrote:

I see. We can definitely have another look and see if it can be optimized,
but the "cost" of it is mostly for the first query where the large time is
spent.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM, AoN wrote:

It's the ids being loaded into the memory that makes it slow not the
query itself.

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:08:45 AM UTC-5, kimchy wrote:

When you say its slow, is it the first part that loads the ids to memory
that is slow, or the query itself once things are loaded that is slow
(simply executing the query several times, causing the ids to be loaded,
and then check how long it takes).

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM, AoN wrote:

I am currently wondering if i should use the parent / child feature

because of the slow query times. I am aware that it is slow because of the
ids having to be loaded into the memory on the first query. In the index
right now a parent doc will have many child docs. There will be potentially
thousands or more parent and child docs being added every second.
I need to know if there is a solution or planned fix for this?


(system) #6