Some Change in Percolation/QueryStringQuery/Mapping between 7.6.2 and 7.7.0?

I've noticed that, while trying to migrate from Elasticsearch 7.5.2 -> 7.9.2, something seems to have changed in how percolator queries seem to work. I have narrowed down my problem to a change between 7.6.2 and 7.7.0; the following repro results in 1 hit in ES 7.6.2, but 0 hits in ES 7.7+:

curl -XPUT "localhost:${PORT}/percolation-index" -H 'Content-Type:application/json' -d '
{
  "settings": {
    "percolator": {
      "map_unmapped_fields_as_text": true
    }
  },
  "mappings": {
    "properties": {
      "percolator_field": {
        "type": "percolator"
      }
    }
  }
}'
curl -XPOST "localhost:${PORT}/percolation-index/_doc?refresh=true" -H 'Content-Type:application/json' -d '
{
	"query_string": {
	  "query": "message:test"
	}
  }
}'
curl -XPOST "localhost:${PORT}/percolation-index/_search?pretty" -H 'Content-Type:application/json' -d '
{
  "query": {
    "percolate": {
      "field": "percolator_field",
      "document": {
        "message": "test stuff"
      }
    }
  }
}'

If I instead do a match query in my percolator:

curl -XPOST "localhost:${PORT}/percolation-index/_doc?refresh=true" -H 'Content-Type:application/json' -d '
{
	"match": {
	  "message": "test"
	}
  }
}'

The percolator matches as expected on both versions.

1 Like

Can we get an update on this? This is blocking our 7.9.2 upgrade, and there don't seem to be any mention of this change in the release docs.

This issue was also filed as a bug - https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/63150

We noticed the 7.9.3 and 7.9.4 tag were added to it, but no info on why. Will this be fixed in 7.9.4?

May be @HenningAndersen can tell if this will be fixed in a coming version?

Side note: I don't think that we should tag an issue with the expected version but instead we should tag the PR. My 2 cents.

I added the label because it was indicated in the issue that the problem exists on the specific version, not as an indication of resolution version. I removed the label to avoid this confusion.

I have no info about whether or when a fix can be expected.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.