Some Grok filter explanation needed

Ok a colleague of mine made a certain grok filter to create a few fields from suricata logs.
An example of an a log input would be this :

Nov 3 15:20:33 192.168.1.1 suricata[42959]: [1:2200029:1] SURICATA ICMPv6 unknown type [Classification: (null)] [Priority: 3] {IPV6-ICMP} fa80:0000:0000:0000:c233:1224:241a:1efb:143 -> ff03:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:1119:0

And the grok filter is this :

match => [ "message", "<(?<evtid>.*)>(?<datetime>(?:Jan(?:uary)?|Feb(?:ruary)?|Mar(?:ch)?|Apr(?:il)?|May|Jun(?:e)?|Jul(?:y)?|Aug(?:ust)?|Sep(?:tember)?|Oct(?:ober)?|Nov(?:ember)?|Dec(?:ember)?)\s+(?:(?:0[1-9])|(?:[12][0-9])|(?:3[01])|[1-9]) (?:2[0123]|[01]?[0-9]):(?:[0-5][0-9]):(?:[0-5][0-9])) (?<prog>.*?): (?<msg>.*)" ]
}

What I need help for :

A)The field evtid always comes out as "141".If I am correct the (?.) creates a field called evtid and the pattern it looks for is "." Here I need help.Thinking back in my compilers class(flex, bison etc) the " . " meant everything except new line.So what would .* mean?Every character 0 or more times? :sweat: So it's basically counting characters?

B)What's the use of "?:" for?If you look at the grok match the ?: comes up a ton of times.Again my knowledge on regex tells me that [0-1]? means that 0 or 1 will be there 0 or 1 times.It's obvious that it does exactly
that for the months(it can be either jan or january for example).So does it mean that xxxx in (?: xxxx ) might exist or not?But then again it's there before any logical or( ?| ). :confused:

I am currently looking into documentation again to figure it out but I would really appreciate some insight from you guys.

Thanks a lot,
Nick.

Unless you format what you write as preformatted text, angle brackets and their contents will disappear. Please edit your post so that we won't have to guess what you're trying to convey.

So what would .* mean?Every character 0 or more times? :sweat: So it's basically counting characters?

The Kleene star operator, "*", means "zero, one, or more occurrences of the preceding token", and "." does indeed many any character. Not sure what you mean by counting, but as your log entry appears to have been mangled (see my first paragraph) I won't spend time on it.

What's the use of "?:" for?

"?:" at the beginning of a parenthesis group means that the group should be non-capturing. Grok filters only use named captures so it's basically noise when used here.

Hint: Look at the available grok patterns. There are predefined patterns for matching (English) names of months, allowing you to cut down your grok expression significantly. There are also grok patterns for syslog messages, which I guess is what you're trying to match.