Standard Memory recommendation for each POD having 3 node cluster running on Elasticsearch 7.17.1

Hello,
I would like to know the recommended Memory needs to be allocated to Elasticsearch 7.17.1 POD. Currently we have 3 node cluster deployed in GKE. Each POD is being allocated to 4GB RAM and 50% of its memory to Heap. Now we are consistently getting memory alert.

This consistent memory alert we are receiving when we upgraded from Elasticsearch 7.9.0 to 7.17.1. Kindly suggest the recommended RAM needs to be allocated for all the 3 PODs.

Thanks,
Bikas

This depend on the amount of data in the cluster as well as the load and performance requirements you have, so is impossible to tell without considerably more details about your use case.

Thanks @Christian_Dahlqvist for replying! We use ES for simple search and aggregations using Java client (org.elasticsearch.client:elasticsearch-rest-high-level-client:7.17.1)

My query was for minimum RAM needs to be allocated for Elasticsearch version 7.17.1. As the cluster was not triggering any memory alert when it was running on 7.9.0. I observed this same behavior in both DEV and QA environment; which seems 4GB is not sufficient for ES 7.17.1.

We initially suspected this could be due to data as we had lots of shards; and we cleaned almost all of them and thereafter for almost a week we didnt find any alert. But thereafter again it started giving memory alert despite low data.

The following article says below 8GB RAM is not recommended for Elasticsearch 2.x

But I couldn't find the similar information for Elasticsearch 7.17. Any further pointer would be really helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.