Standing up new instance want to copy indexes/documents from old instance


(Didjit) #1

Hi,

Dug around and cant seem to find the answer. I have an existing instance of
ELK running. I'm currently setting up a new instance on separate hardware.
I want to copy the documnets/indexes over to the new instance so I can
preserve the history. Can someone point me to a doc or give some tips on
how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Didjit

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #2

If you want to keep the same cluster name, just add the new nodes to the
existing cluster, let it rebalance, then remove the olds nodes.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 29 May 2014 22:44, Didjit didjit86@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Dug around and cant seem to find the answer. I have an existing instance
of ELK running. I'm currently setting up a new instance on separate
hardware. I want to copy the documnets/indexes over to the new instance so
I can preserve the history. Can someone point me to a doc or give some tips
on how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Didjit

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624b0X5PXETj-YsY0UAaFur1T-q0cyTuA3tAYeXeFR3WpBw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Didjit) #3

Thanks. I wish I could find docs that explain more in detail.

in the elasticsearch.yml, would I name both instances with the same cluster
name, each with their own node name. Fire both instances up. After they
sync, then just shut down the original instance?

If there is a doc you can point me to, that would help too.

Thanks

Didjit

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:38:24 PM UTC-4, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want to keep the same cluster name, just add the new nodes to the
existing cluster, let it rebalance, then remove the olds nodes.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 29 May 2014 22:44, Didjit <didj...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Hi,

Dug around and cant seem to find the answer. I have an existing instance
of ELK running. I'm currently setting up a new instance on separate
hardware. I want to copy the documnets/indexes over to the new instance so
I can preserve the history. Can someone point me to a doc or give some tips
on how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Didjit

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/45ddb5be-d0da-41e2-a9f3-82986e831f56%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Lance Lakey) #4

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/_basic_concepts.html
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html

Pretty much.
Your nodes do need to be configured with the same cluster name. If you let
the original node default to "elasticsearch" then you could let the new
node default to "elasticsearch" as well.
You don't need to configure their node names

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:11:16 AM UTC-7, Didjit wrote:

Thanks. I wish I could find docs that explain more in detail.

in the elasticsearch.yml, would I name both instances with the same
cluster name, each with their own node name. Fire both instances up. After
they sync, then just shut down the original instance?

If there is a doc you can point me to, that would help too.

Thanks

Didjit

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:38:24 PM UTC-4, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want to keep the same cluster name, just add the new nodes to the
existing cluster, let it rebalance, then remove the olds nodes.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 29 May 2014 22:44, Didjit didj...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Dug around and cant seem to find the answer. I have an existing instance
of ELK running. I'm currently setting up a new instance on separate
hardware. I want to copy the documnets/indexes over to the new instance so
I can preserve the history. Can someone point me to a doc or give some tips
on how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Didjit

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c5481c18-4550-4e64-b069-9122da4643e4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/5bec7b2f-e425-401f-a01d-c3dff773a4f7%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(system) #5