Starting ES-7.8.0 hung up CLI

Hello,
I setup ES-7.8.0 cluster on 2 hosts (Linux), 2 master and 2 data nodes on each host.
I'm able to start all 4 nodes, the cluster health=GREEN and I can see all nodes joined the cluster.
Environment: ES-7.8.0 (elasticsearch-7.8.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz), RHEL 5.11, JDK 1.8.0_65

The problem is when I'm staring a node on CLI then I can see the following two identical lines on the console, where I started ES and these lines hung up CLI

future versions of Elasticsearch will require java 11; your java version from [u/hadoop/java/JDK 1.8.0_65/jre] does not meet this requirement
future versions of Elasticsearch will require java 11; your java version from [u/hadoop/java/JDK 1.8.0_65/jre] does not meet this requirement

To start another node on these console I need to release it manually with Ctl-C, which is not convenient and does Not allow to automate the multi-node startup process on the same console without manual intervention.

I'm starting nodes as follows
ES_JAVA_OPTS="-Dmapper.allow_dots_in_name=true -Xms${ES_HEAP_SIZE} -Xmx${ES_HEAP_SIZE}" bin/elasticsearch -d -p /path_to_pid/es-pid

The ES.log on the second console shows the node is started even the CLI on the first console is not manually released as follows

[WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name unable to load JNA native support library, native methods will be disabled.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/jna/--146.....tmp: /lib64/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.7 not found
... loaded module ...
... loaded module ...
... node_name initialized
... node_name starting ...
... node_name started

Any help to address this issue will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Can you post more of the log you are seeing please?

Thanks for the feedback Mark,

Here are some more information from ES log

[WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name unable to load JNA native support library, native methods will be disabled.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/jna/--146.....tmp: /lib64/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.7 not found (required by /tmp/jna/--1462778291/jna473135465896030289.tmp)
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(NativeMethod) ~[?1.8.0_65]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1938) ~[?1.8.0_65]
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264) ~[?1.8.0_65]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Natives.(Natives.java:45) [elasticsearch-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:170) [elasticsearch-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:161) [elasticsearch-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) [elasticsearch-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:127) [elasticsearch-cli-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) [elasticsearch-cli-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:126) [elasticsearch-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) [elasticsearch-7.8.0.jar:7.8.0]
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name cannot check if running as root because JNA is not available
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name cannot register console handler because JNA is not available
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name cannot getrlimit RLIMIT_NPROC because JNA is not available
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name version[7.8.0], pid[29283], build[....]
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name JVM arguments [...]
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name loaded module[aggs-matrix-stats]
... loaded module ...
... loaded module ...
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name initialized
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name starting ...
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name publish_address ......
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name refreshed keys
[date time goes here][WARN][o.e.b.Natives ] node_name started

The node started and joined the cluster but the starting process capture the CLI console and to release it I need manual intervention with Ctl-C.
I expect the CLI console should be automatically released and available to start another node.

Thanks so much for your help and patience

That's pretty standard for Linux based systems. Have a look on the web for running tasks in the background to see what you can do.

Alternatively, you should really use the service files that the DEB/RPM packages provide.

Thanks Mark for the feedback.
DEB/RPM packages with service files is not the option for us. We've being running the ES-5.6.3 multi-node cluster in test and prod environments and have the deployment/monitoring process in place already. Now we'd like to migrate the old cluster to new ES-7.8.0.
The starting node command, I provided at the beginning of this thread, worked well with no issues on ES-5.6.3 and that is why I'm wondering why it is Not working on ES-7.8.0.

I'll follow up your advise and search the web.
If you have more specific advise related to ES-7.8.0 starting process and resolving the above mentioned issue it would be appreciated.
Is there any document elsewhere allowing to see/compare/evaluate changes for ES major releases?

This is not an Elasticsearch issue. If you run any process in linux in the foreground it'll hold the focus of the shell, then if you use ctrl+c it'll pause the process.

I don't know how you used to start the process, but doing it manually doesn't sound very efficient.

Actually I'm running the shell script which at the end produces the following line
ES_JAVA_OPTS="-Dmapper.allow_dots_in_name=true -Xms${ES_HEAP_SIZE} -Xmx${ES_HEAP_SIZE}" bin/elasticsearch -d -p /path_to_pid/es-pid
And this worked for me couple of years with ES-5.6.3. I was able to start first node by running starting script, then the console was released and I was able to start second node from the same terminal and so on.
To start nodes of ES-7.8.0 I'm using the same shell script and the console is not released despite the node started and joined the cluster.

Ah ok. Well that's outside the immediate scope of what we can assist with, as it's a custom script.

But if you post the script, we might be able to offer more advice.

Thanks Mark for the feedback
The starting process capture the terminal with 2 lines

which come up from ES-7.8.0 somehow and that is why I think it is ES-7.8.0 related (?)

I think you need to post the entire script you are running.

Mark,
[1]I addressed this issue using standard technique and start node as follows
script_to_start_es_node.sh [inp_arg_node_name_to_start] [inp_arg_cluster_name] > /dev/null 2&1 &
and now the node started as expected releasing the cmd and allowing to run the script again to start second node without manual intervention

[2]script_to_start_es_node.sh accepts input arguments, export $JAVA_HOME and at the end produces the following command to start particular node as follows

ES_JAVA_OPTS="-Dmapper.allow_dots_in_name=true -Xms${ES_HEAP_SIZE} -Xmx${ES_HEAP_SIZE}" bin/elasticsearch -d -p /path_to_pid/es-pid > /dev/null 2&1 &

I tried to understand why old version ES-5.6.3 allowed me to start node without the "> /dev/null 2&1 &" and new version ES-7.8.0 starting process captures the cmd terminal and requires Ctl-l to release it.
I think the message on the cmd "future versions of Elasticsearch will require java 11; your java version from [u/hadoop/java/JDK 1.8.0_65/jre] does not meet this requirement" has been produced by the ES-7.8.0 code. It seems the ES-7.8.0 checks up the java version somehow (if bundled jdk is not in use) and produces the alert message about the "...java 11..." and captures the cmd terminal, which, I think, shouldn't happen (?)
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.