Statistical Date Histogram Facet?


(Eric Jain) #1

The date histogram facet is very useful, but does not collect variances or
standard deviations, only averages.

Seems simple enough to add (see e.g. the statistical facet, though should
probably use http://www.johndcook.com/standard_deviation.html instead); I'm
just not sure if the best approach is to create yet another facet plugin,
or add this to the existing facet and create a pull request?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/24f15ec5-fa48-4bce-bf48-eda3304fea90%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(Alexander Reelsen) #2

Hey,

if you need this is as a facet, it makes sense to write your own plugin.
But maybe this is already supported by aggregations, coming in 1.0 (and
already included in the current 1.0 beta release). Might make sense to take
a look there first, before starting to write your facet code. See
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/master/search-aggregations.html

--Alex

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Eric Jain eric.jain@gmail.com wrote:

The date histogram facet is very useful, but does not collect variances or
standard deviations, only averages.

Seems simple enough to add (see e.g. the statistical facet, though should
probably use http://www.johndcook.com/standard_deviation.html instead);
I'm just not sure if the best approach is to create yet another facet
plugin, or add this to the existing facet and create a pull request?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/24f15ec5-fa48-4bce-bf48-eda3304fea90%40googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAGCwEM_cth95Y%3D4F6CU-44%2BVAp17Tog7nLKWq4r93TO972UyKA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(Eric Jain) #3

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Alexander Reelsen alr@spinscale.de wrote:

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/master/search-aggregations.html

Thanks for the pointer; looks like I should hold off creating new
facets until the aggregation stuff is finalized.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAHte5%2BJyxRe7syqUT0TQqM3ycSqn%3DCe6VRE6iDxFGJNmg3DZzw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(vaidik) #4

But you can try it in the new beta if you like. To my knowledge, the
feature is not complete yet and must be going through bug fixing but it
will give you a fare idea about how useful will this be for your use-case.
On Dec 12, 2013 7:51 AM, "Eric Jain" eric.jain@gmail.com wrote:

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Alexander Reelsen alr@spinscale.de
wrote:

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/master/search-aggregations.html

Thanks for the pointer; looks like I should hold off creating new
facets until the aggregation stuff is finalized.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAHte5%2BJyxRe7syqUT0TQqM3ycSqn%3DCe6VRE6iDxFGJNmg3DZzw%40mail.gmail.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CACWtv5mmEmtPMJrK1R%3D7T6mVyyyXpTLrpT35YCV1Na0sXORoyg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(system) #5