Store, render and search different types of semi-structured data in elasticsearch

We have a couple of different features in our application both of which have different types of semi-structured data sets. One of them has a json data set (rest api responses) while other has html files that includes audio & video content (documentation portal). We need to a storage, rendering (show file content especially) and full text search solution on both of them.

1. Can elasticsearch be used a common solution for both of these data sets?
  2. I assume elasticsearch is not meant to store audio and video files (could be in few hundreds of MB's). What are the standard alternatives for these audio/video files? We don't need to search the audio/video file content - just store them and serve them for rendering.

Thanks.

Welcome!

Storing in elasticsearch videos or big files in general might not be a good idea.

What are the standard alternatives for these audio/video files? We don't need to search the audio/video file content - just store them and serve them for rendering.

Yeah. You need to using a storage service. It can be S3, it can be a datastore built for that, it can be a shared FS...
But Elasticsearch does not provide this.

Ok I understand. Thanks for the follow up @dadoonet
I will possibly store the audio/video files externally and hyperlink to it in the html files. Given this would elasticsearch be able to address to the storage, rendering and search requirements of the two data sets (json & html) simultaneously or do you see issues with it?

No issue on my end.
Do you want to actually search within the html content?

Yes, we need to actually search within the html content

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.