Switching to JDK 7?


(Jörg Prante) #1

Hi,

in the light of

"In addition to Java 5 and Java 6, this release has now full Java 7 support
(minimum JDK 7u1 required)."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201204.mbox/<CAOdYfZVLVvs392LDt5X0XvxT3V+a0Y+ORwNGfJpjBuBC0gFSAQ@mail.gmail.com>

I would like to see Elasticsearch supporting JDK 7.

Any known obstacles?

Cheers,

Jörg


(Shay Banon) #2

ElasticSearch works well under Java 7 (and also Lucene 3.5, not just Lucene
3.6).

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Jörg Prante joergprante@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

in the light of

"In addition to Java 5 and Java 6, this release has now full Java 7
support (minimum JDK 7u1 required)."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201204.mbox/<CAOdYfZVLVvs392LDt5X0XvxT3V+a0Y+ORwNGfJpjBuBC0gFSAQ@mail.gmail.com>

I would like to see Elasticsearch supporting JDK 7.

Any known obstacles?

Cheers,

Jörg


(Jörg Prante) #3

Hi,

sorry for being unclear, I'd like to know if the Elasticsearch build - not
running Elasticsearch - is ready for being compiled with source and target
of JDK 7 ? The pom.xml states "1.6" in the maven compiler plugin. JDK 7 has
some nice benefits like NIO.2, jsr166y, InvokeDynamic, Unicode 6.0.

Jörg

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:25:55 PM UTC+2, kimchy wrote:

ElasticSearch works well under Java 7 (and also Lucene 3.5, not just
Lucene 3.6).

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Jörg Prante joergprante@gmail.comwrote:

Hi,

in the light of

"In addition to Java 5 and Java 6, this release has now full Java 7
support (minimum JDK 7u1 required)."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201204.mbox/<CAOdYfZVLVvs392LDt5X0XvxT3V+a0Y+ORwNGfJpjBuBC0gFSAQ@mail.gmail.com>

I would like to see Elasticsearch supporting JDK 7.

Any known obstacles?

Cheers,

Jörg


(Shay Banon) #4

There isn't really a need to compile elasticsearch under 1.7. Where
applicable, we use Java 7 constructs, for example jsr166y is already used
in elasticsearch (as an embedded lib).

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Jörg Prante joergprante@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

sorry for being unclear, I'd like to know if the Elasticsearch build - not
running Elasticsearch - is ready for being compiled with source and target
of JDK 7 ? The pom.xml states "1.6" in the maven compiler plugin. JDK 7 has
some nice benefits like NIO.2, jsr166y, InvokeDynamic, Unicode 6.0.

Jörg

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:25:55 PM UTC+2, kimchy wrote:

ElasticSearch works well under Java 7 (and also Lucene 3.5, not just
Lucene 3.6).

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Jörg Prante joergprante@gmail.comwrote:

Hi,

in the light of

"In addition to Java 5 and Java 6, this release has now full Java 7
support (minimum JDK 7u1 required)."

http://mail-archives.apache.**org/mod_mbox/www-announce/*201204.mbox/%
*3CCAOdYfZVLVvs392LDt5X0XvxT3V+a0Y+ORwNGfJpjBuBC0gFSAQ@mail.
gmail.com%3Ehttp://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201204.mbox/<CAOdYfZVLVvs392LDt5X0XvxT3V+a0Y+ORwNGfJpjBuBC0gFSAQ@mail.gmail.com>

I would like to see Elasticsearch supporting JDK 7.

Any known obstacles?

Cheers,

Jörg


(system) #5