Syslog not being picked up even though it's tagged 'syslog'

Good morning all.

I am still pretty new to the elastic stack. I've used it on small scales and it worked great, but I'm getting ready to roll out a much larger aggregation model and wanted to be sure I'm understanding why things are behaving the way they are.

I've currently got beats and syslog systems shipping to to a dev ELK stack with logstash.

I have several systems shipping syslog fine. I added a couple xen hypervisors the other day and they did not show up in the syslog index via Kibana. I checked via tcpdump and the packets were arriving so I created an else statement in the input syslog filter and sent them to a lostandfound index and voila, they are there. Otherwise they are totally normal in Kibana once I get ahold of them and they do not have a grokparsefailure tag.

When I look at them they do have a 'syslog' tag so I'm wondering why they are not being sent to the syslog index?

Below are my syslog filter and es-output.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

SYSLOG FILTER

input {
  syslog {
     port => 1514
     tags => "syslog"
  }
}
filter {
  if [type] == "syslog" {
    mutate {
    }
    grok {
      match => [ "message", "<%{POSINT:syslog_pri}>%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\])?: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" ]
    }
  }
  else {
    mutate { add_tag => ["lnf"] }
  }
}
output {
  if [type] == "syslog" and "_grokparsefailure" in [tags] {
    file { path => "/var/log/failed_syslog_events-%{+YYYY-MM-dd}" }
  }
}

ES OUTPUT

output {
  if "beats" in [tags] {
    elasticsearch {
      hosts => ["x.x.x.x:9200"]
      sniffing => false
      manage_template => false
      index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
      #index => "test1-%{+YYY.MM.dd}"
      document_type => "%{[@metadata][type]}"
    }
  }

if "syslog" in [tags] {
    elasticsearch {
    sniffing => false
    index => "syslog-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    }
  }

if "esx" in [logsource] {
    elasticsearch {
    sniffing => false
    index => "esx-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    }
  }

if "lnf" in [tags] {
    elasticsearch {
    sniffing => false
    index => "lnf-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    }
  }

}

Oddly enough the system stopped showing any logs entries the second it turned midnight. I did notice the entries are 8 hours behind in the histogram, but I'm in Ireland and those servers are in California.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.