System.load.norm.1 field exceeds 100%

Hey Everybody!

This is my first time posting to the forum, because I could not find any related threads.

I am using the Metricbeat to monitor different metrics concerning cluster health. One of which is the CPU usage for which I'm using the system.load.norm.1 field.

Now I am wondering why values associated with this field still exceed 100% from time to time, if it clearly should not be the case for a normalized value.

Google searches as well as the Kibana docs did not present an answer to my question (at least I could not find any) so maybe there are some people around here who could clarify this behavior.

kind regards,
Timo

1 Like

Those metric values are basically just the values from running top. The metricbeat docs explain that field as such:

system.load.norm.1
type: scaled_float

Load for the last minute divided by the number of cores.

One interesting thing about top values is that they can, and regularly do, exceed 100%. This is explained on this stackexchange post, which also mentions "Solaris mode", which sounds like what that field from metricbeat is showing.

So if you're seeing a value of 100%, and you have 4 cores, it means you have a load over 4.0 ((load * 100) / # of cores). You should be able to confirm that by looking at the value for system.load.1, the non-normalized "load average for the last minute" value.

I think I got the concept now after further reading, I did not know about that. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction Joe!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.