Terms aggregation Java API with missing

Hi,

I am trying to build a Terms bucket aggregation that also includes documents with the term missing. What I'm finding is, without adding a .missing(), as you would expect, any documents missing the term are not included in the results. However, if add the .missing("Unknown") clause to the builder I then the only bucket I get back is for documents with that term missing. How do I combine the two to get both?

Interestingly, if I set a breakpoint in the code and cut and paste the generated JSON into Postman and fire it off - I get the data back as I would expect: with all terms and the missing one included as 'Unknown'.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Here is the code I am trying:

AggregationBuilder aggregation =
            AggregationBuilders
                    .terms("by_typename")
                    .missing("Unknown")  <-- With this added only missing are returned
                    .field("typename")
                    .size(500)
                    .order(BucketOrder.key(true))
                    .minDocCount(0)
                    .subAggregation(
                            AggregationBuilders.dateHistogram("by_time")
                                    .field("@timestamp")
                                    .dateHistogramInterval(DateHistogramInterval.MONTH)
                                    .extendedBounds(new ExtendedBounds("now-" + time + "M", "now"))
                                    .format("epoch_millis")
                                    .minDocCount(0)
                    );

Thanks.

Turns out I was looking in the wrong place and my index selection routine was at fault! You do feel a fool don't you.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.