Terms query takes lots of cpu usage

I am using terms query to find the followers of a user.
For that, I fetch the follower ids of that user and use terms query to get the user result from elasticsearch. But when I run the query it took lots of CPU. I guess it because of more terms per query.
But I couldn't find any other solution for this. Any suggestions will be helpful.

If you denormalize the data such that each user has a "follows" array you can just do this:

GET /users/_search
 {
     "query": {
          "match" : { 
              "follows" : "userX"
         }
    }
 }
1 Like

Really thanks for the response. I thought the same way too. But I have 70 million users. So it will take too much time to add follows array. Is there any other option to overcome this issue ?.

It comes down to physics. Random disk seeks for lots of unique IDs are slow. SSDs will help but there's still a cost with big numbers.
Using a graph database will remove the index lookups at query time by chasing around connections using pointers but:

1. This means using a single-server solution with lots of RAM
  2. All your index-lookups are shifted to write-time when the database has to convert user IDs to pointers.

No easy answers here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.