The client is unable to verify that the server is Elasticsearch due to an unsuccessful product check call

Hello.
I see that similar issues have been reported before, but I cannot solve my problem using them.

I'm using NEST 7.17.5 dotnet core client and with the following configurations.

var elasticSettings = new ConnectionSettings(new SingleNodeConnectionPool(new Uri("https://my-cloud-uri")))
                .PrettyJson()

.BasicAuthentication("elasdtic", "password")
                .DefaultIndex("my_index")
                .EnableApiVersioningHeader();

I'm connecting the elastic cloud, and locally on my windows 10 environment, I can connect it successfully. But I when I run the client in the Ubuntu v22.04 container, a got the following error.

The client is unable to verify that the server is Elasticsearch due to an unsuccessful product check call. Some functionality may not be compatible if the server is running an unsupported product. Call: Status code unknown from: GET /?pretty=true
 ---> Elasticsearch.Net.PipelineException: The client is unable to verify that the server is Elasticsearch due to an unsuccessful product check call. Some functionality may not be compatible if the server is running an unsupported product.
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
 ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid because of errors in the certificate chain: UntrustedRoot
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.SendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, ExceptionDispatchInfo exception)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.CompleteHandshake(SslAuthenticationOptions sslAuthenticationOptions)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ForceAuthenticationAsync[TIOAdapter](Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] reAuthenticationData, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Every single config is the same with windows environment.

What changes on Ubuntu, and how come I can connect successfully to elastic cloud with the same credentials?

Typo correction
What changes on Ubuntu, and how come I can connect successfully to elastic cloud with the same credentials on windows?

Hi @Erdem_Sekerci
Welcome to the community and thanks for trying Elastic Cloud

Not sure if typo or on purpose

BasicAuthentication("elasdtic",
.........................^

The first thing I would try is a curl from the Ubuntu box with the same creds

curl -v -u elastic https://url

You may want to add :443 port there was a time a few of the clients would tack on the default 9200 if a port was not provided.. I don't think that is the issue though.

Curious why you are not using the recommended Cloud ID + API Key.

1 Like

@Erdem_Sekerci This message is slightly misleading in your case. Looking at the stack trace, I see The SSL connection could not be established, which is the root cause. Something local to your container is causing the SSL handshake to fail to the cloud URL. What image are you using? If it's an older image, potentially, it uses unsupported TLS versions. If you SSH into your container, you will likely be unable to contact the server, even with CURL. You will need to diagnose that first, and then the client should function as expected.

As a side note, we provide a shortcut to configure the client to communicate with the cloud instances where you can provide the cloud ID in the constructor instead of a URL.

Hi Stephen, thanks for your response. Sorry it's a typo that I've done while changed my credentials to dummy text. I have tried Cloud ID + API Key previously and got the same result. I also tried to add certificate finger print I've got the same result as well.
I will try to do curl in the container and share the result shortly.

Hi Steve. thanks a lot for your response. I'm suspicious too, the problem may be due to local container.

I pulled the latest released version through the docker hub.

My ubuntu version:

PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="...www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="..../help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="....bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="...www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"

I will try to connect with CURL inside the container and share the results shortly.

A likely explanation for this error is that your .NET runtime on Ubuntu has a very old (or empty) set of trusted certificate authorities.

Elastic Cloud uses Let's Encrypt as an issuer. If your runtime does not have the pets encrypt root cert as a trusted issuer then you would see an UntrustedRoot error such as this.

1 Like

Hi everyone, thanks for your support. This problem is obviously caused by the old TLS versions of the container as you pointed too. It's been solved after I update the Ubuntu using the command apt-get -y update;
Now all is well. thanks for your quick support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.