The Elasticsearch process is experiencing rapid memory growth in the older generation

As shown in the above figure, my Elasticsearch cluster has experienced rapid memory growth in its old age, and after a period of time, it will be reclaimed, which will also occupy a large amount of memory. How should I optimize it.

jvm options:
/bin/java -Xshare:auto -Des.networkaddress.cache.ttl=60 -Des.networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=10 -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -Xss1m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djna.nosys=true -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Dio.netty.noUnsafe=true -Dio.netty.noKeySetOptimization=true -Dio.netty.recycler.maxCapacityPerThread=0 -Dio.netty.allocator.numDirectArenas=0 -Dlog4j.shutdownHookEnabled=false -Dlog4j2.disable.jmx=true -Djava.locale.providers=SPI,JRE -Xms31g -Xmx31g -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -Des.networkaddress.cache.ttl=60 -Des.networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=10 -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -Xss1m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djna.nosys=true -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Dio.netty.noUnsafe=true -Dio.netty.noKeySetOptimization=true -Dio.netty.recycler.maxCapacityPerThread=0 -Dio.netty.allocator.type=unpooled -Dlog4j.shutdownHookEnabled=false -Dlog4j2.disable.jmx=true -Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/elasticsearch-2895824853792002806 -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/lib/elasticsearch -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/elasticsearch/hs_err_pid%p.log -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -Xloggc:/var/log/elasticsearch/gc.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=32 -XX:GCLogFileSize=64m -XX:NewRatio=1 -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=16642998272 -Des.path.home=/usr/share/elasticsearch -Des.path.conf=/etc/elasticsearch -Des.distribution.flavor=default -Des.distribution.type=rpm -Des.bundled_jdk=true -cp /usr/share/elasticsearch/lib/* org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch -p /var/run/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.pid --quiet

Those options look like they come from a pretty old version. The simplest thing to try is to upgrade.

The ES version number is 7.8, I don't think it's ancient

Elasticsearch 7.8 may not be ancient, but it is still very old and has been EOL for a very long time. I would recommend you upgrade.

I just want to know why memory in the old days will periodically grow, or how to optimize this memory usage. Upgrading the version may not solve the problem, nor is it a good method

There's been over 3 years of new development, and 75 new releases, since the version you are using. It's been unsupported for a very long time. I think I'd call it "ancient" at this point.

It's possible that someone will volunteer their time to help you investigate this, but it's not very likely when you're using such an old version. You're much more likely to receive help if you can reproduce your problems in a supported version.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.