Throttle merges

I'm having issues with heavy CPU usage and I/O after indexing. Long after indexing has finished, load average is still high and CPU is loaded (50-100%), this makes search operations slow.

I've set index.merge.scheduler.max_thread_count to 1, but still see many threads per node (GET _nodes/hot_threads):

100.2% (500.7ms out of 500ms) cpu usage by thread 'elasticsearch[testing-195146d5][[testindex][9]: Lucene Merge Thread #49]'
   3/10 snapshots sharing following 14 elements
     org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer$3$1.hasNext(DocValuesConsumer.java:316)
     org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer$10$1.hasNext(DocValuesConsumer.java:855)
     org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:486)

64.7% (323.3ms out of 500ms) cpu usage by thread 'elasticsearch[testing-195146d5][[testindex][5]: Lucene Merge Thread #35]'
 10/10 snapshots sharing following 9 elements
   org.apache.lucene.codecs.perfield.PerFieldDocValuesFormat$FieldsWriter.addSortedNumericField(PerFieldDocValuesFormat.java:122)
   org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer.mergeSortedNumericField(DocValuesConsumer.java:301)
   org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeDocValues(SegmentMerger.java:223)
   org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:122)
   org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4223)
   org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3811)
   org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:409)
   org.apache.lucene.index.TrackingConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(TrackingConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:107)
   org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:486)

52.6% (262.9ms out of 500ms) cpu usage by thread 'elasticsearch[testing-195146d5][[testindex][1]: Lucene Merge Thread #46]'
 2/10 snapshots sharing following 17 elements
   org.apache.lucene.index.SingletonSortedNumericDocValues.setDocument(SingletonSortedNumericDocValues.java:52)
   org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer$3$1.setNext(DocValuesConsumer.java:353)
   org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer$3$1.hasNext(DocValuesConsumer.java:316)

99.1% (495.6ms out of 500ms) cpu usage by thread 'elasticsearch[testing-195146d5][[testindex][0]: Lucene Merge Thread #47]'
 2/10 snapshots sharing following 13 elements
   org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer$3$1.setNext(DocValuesConsumer.java:359)

Index section in my configuration looks like this:

index:
  auto_expand_replicas: 0-all
  merge:
    scheduler:
      max_thread_count: 1
indices:
  store:
    throttle:
      max_bytes_per_sec: 10mb
      type: merge

there are messages in log:

now throttling indexing: numMergesInFlight=4, maxNumMerges=3

By the way, merge problems started after we moved some of the data to doc_values.

Do I misunderstand the setting? Looks like it ensures only 1 merge thread will be running.
What's the difference with index.merge.policy.max_merge_at_once, should I set it instead?

What I want is to make merge less aggressive.

1 Like

See the discussion in Index throttling issue.
We faced a similar issue after using doc_values and we resolved it by removing merge policy and index throttle settings.
We are still facing increased disk utilization though.

hm, but it seems exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve? I.e. I need to throttle merges, otherwise they take all the resources and make any other operations slow.

(with doc_values disk utilisation is increased for us as well, but no heap problems anymore)

There's always a cost, so you just need to balance those accordingly.

After some experiments, it turns out index.merge.scheduler.max_thread_count = 1 doesn't mean 1 thread (more like 4 in my case), but still reduces load. I ran 50000 partial updates in 50 threads

without throttling:

and with max_thread_count = 1