Throttling search requests

(Animageofmine) #1
  1. What is the best practice to throttle search requests? Does Elasticsearch provide any configurations to throttle search requests?

2. Is there a way to prioritize different types of queries (e.g. prioritize search over indexing)?

3. If throttling is available, is it specific to index, or is that a global configuration/setting?

We have load balancing via consul and I was able to find a way to throttle merge (indexing), but nothing for search. Before we write our own token bucket/throttling algorithm, wanted to check if there was something we can leverage. Thank you in advance.

(Buster Discuss) #2

None of these are possible.

(Animageofmine) #3

Thank you. I think there is a way to deal with it, not a real throttler, but still one possible way:

Update the queue size for fixed queue based on the amount of load that you want the node to handle. This might help a bit.

(Buster Discuss) #4

Yeah, that occurred to me, but I wouldn't consider suddenly rejecting searches to be a deterministic throttle. Moreover, it very much doesn't come close to any of the criteria you detailed, and that will affect all users, all indices, all types.

(Animageofmine) #5

Agreed. We will probably create our own throttler unless you have suggestions (if there is something opensource available in the market that other clients already use)

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.