Transporterror 429 for search & bulk operations

I am getting elasticsearch.exceptions.TransportError: TransportError(429, '429 Too Many Requests for my "_search" & "_bulk" operations.

My cluster health is green.

I have monitored threadpool write & search queues. Number for requests in queue never spike above 10 for both queues.

CPU utilization sometimes goes till 85%. JVM memory utilization stays in range 70-85%.

Which version of Elasticsearch are you using?
-> OpenSearch 1.1

What is the size, layout and configuration of your cluster?
-> This is our dev cluster with 1 data node only, EBS volume size- 15 GiB

What is the hardware specification?
-> t3.medium.search (vCPU-2, memory-4 GB)

How many indices and shards do you typically target in searches? How many concurrent searches are you running?
-> we are targeting 1 index only with 1 shards and running 10 concurrent searches maximum

How are you indexing into the cluster?
-> via RestHighLevelClient in Java.

How many indices and shards are you actively indexing into?
-> Regularly indexing into a single index (the one in which we search too) with 1 shard and creating new indices by filtering data from this source index.

How many concurrent indexing threads do you have?
-> concurrent indexing threads : 2 with queue size of 1000 for search and 10000 for write.

Which version of Elasticsearch are you using?

What is the size, layout and configuration of your cluster?

What is the hardware specification?

How many indices and shards do you typically target in searches? How many concurrent searches are you running?

How are you indexing into the cluster? How many indices and shards are you actively indexing into? How many concurrent indexing threads do you have?

OpenSearch/OpenDistro are AWS run products and differ from the original Elasticsearch and Kibana products that Elastic builds and maintains. You may need to contact them directly for further assistance.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

@Christian_Dahlqvist thank you for your response. I have updated the details in the original question.

That is not Elasticsearch so I would recommend reaching out to the Opensearch community or AWS given that you seem to be using a hosted version.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.