Trouble with grand-parent/parent/child relationship

Hi

I'm trying to do something, which I thought was pretty simple. A User can have multiple accounts and an account have multiple messages. For some reason, I can see the parents for accounts but I can't see a parent for the message.

Here are the curl messages that I'm running. Is there something I'm doing that's obviously wrong?

curl -XDELETE 'localhost:9200/myindex'
curl -v -XPUT 'localhost:9200/myindex' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"mappings": {
"user": {},
"account": {
"_parent": {
"type": "user"
}
},
"message": {
"_parent": {
"type": "account"
}
}

}
}'

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/myindex/user/1?pretty&refresh' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
name: "Chris Burrell"
}
'

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/myindex/account/2?pretty&parent=1&refresh' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"accountType": "classic",
"paymentReference": "C1",
"userId": "chris"
}
'

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/myindex/account/3?pretty&parent=1&refresh' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"accountType": "isa",
"paymentReference": "I1",
"userId": "chris"
}
'

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/myindex/message/4?pretty&parent=2&refresh' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"id" : "chrispir1",
"awaitingFunds": 1000,
"totalRequested": 1200,
"accountId": "chrisclassic"
}
'

curl -XPOST localhost:9200/myindex/message/_search?pretty -d'
{
"query": {
"has_parent": {
"parent_type": "account",
"match_all": {}
}
}
}
}'

I'm a bit confused - as I had thought this use case was supported?
Thanks
Chris

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you get vs. what you expect?

Hi @jpountz

Sorry - I thought I copied the response in. That was a poor post of mine. The response I get is that there are no children of 'account'. I had assumes that after the curl -XPUT ‘localhost:9200/myindex/message/4?pretty&parent=2&refresh’, seen as '2' is the account, then the search below would return a message.

Does that make sense? If I do a similar search for parent-type 'user' for myindex/account, then I do get an account, but the same does not seem to be true for the account/message parent/child relationship.

Request:

curl -XPOST localhost:9200/myindex/message/_search?pretty -d’
 {
    "has_parent": {
      "parent_type": "account",
        "match_all": {}
      }
    }
  }
}'

Response:

{
"took" : 5,
"timed_out" : false,
"_shards" : {
"total" : 5,
"successful" : 5,
"failed" : 0
},
"hits" : {
"total" : 0,
"max_score" : null,
"hits" :
}
}

Anyone? Does that make sense? Could that be a bug (I'm assuming not, with something so basic!)
Thanks
Chris

Hi all

I don't want to believe that such functionality is broken. That would be really odd and surprising, however, my use case is so simple, I would appreciate if someone could take a brief look.

• Create parent mapping between A -> B, and mapping between B -> C
  • Create child to parent, and grand child to child
  • Elasticsearch fails to return any results for parent_type of B.

Perhaps that's because it doesn't know how to route the query without going down the tree of A?
Thanks
Chris

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.