Two ILM errors - does not point to a write index and does not point to index

I am having two ILM errors for different indexes.

My primary error was (and is for the indices where I have not carried our steps mentioned below).

illegal_argument_exception: index.lifecycle.rollover_alias "indice name" does not point to index "rollover indice name"

For these indices I could see that there was no aliases.

Hence I created an aliases using:

POST /_aliases
{
  "actions" : [
    { "add" : { "index" : "auditbeat-7.13.0-*", "alias" : "auditbeat-7.13.0" }
    }
  ]
}

However on indexes where Aliases is present, I get the error: (secondary error)

illegal_argument_exception: rollover target [auditbeat-7.13.1] does not point to a write index

I am using logstash to collect and forward the logs to Elasticsearch. Here is the output portion of the configuration from Logstash's beats.conf

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["ES_IP_1:9200","ES_IP_2:9200"]
    ssl => true
    user => 'redacted'
    password => 'redacted'
    cacert => '/etc/logstash/elasticsearch-ca.pem'
    ssl_certificate_verification => false
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    ilm_enabled => auto
  }
}

I can see following logs in /var/log/syslog

(status=400): {"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"no write index is defined for alias [auditbeat-7.13.1]. The write index may be explicitly disabled using is_write_index=false or the alias points to multiple indices without one being designated as a write index"}

I have tried adding parameter is_write_index : true but that hasn't solved the problem.

I have created new ILM policies too but same problem continues (Tutorial: Automate rollover with ILM | Elasticsearch Guide [7.13] | Elastic)

Where am I going wrong and how do I fix this?

PS: There is something weird wherein at times there are no indices with ILM error but I reckon that can be ignored until I fix the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bump to the thread in case someone in the community could kindly assist?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.