Uid/gid error on install

I'm stuck installing the ece due to the following error:

elastic@ece1:~$ sudo bash elastic-cloud-enterprise.sh install
The UID or GID must not be smaller than 1000.

I have posted my "id" output below as well.

elastic@ece1:~$ id
uid=1000(elastic) gid=1000(elastic) groups=1000(elastic),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),110(lxd),115(lpadmin),116(sambashare),999(docker)

This is my second install attempt for ece. Both times I have started with a clean install and followed the instructions here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/cloud-enterprise/current/ece-configure-hosts.html#ece-configure-hosts-xenial

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @Archness!

You should run the install script as the elastic user, not root, ie not using sudo (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/cloud-enterprise/current/ece-installing.html)

Thanks for the quick reply. When I followed the configure my own host, I created and mounted the /mnt/data folder.

Its now tossing me this error which is why I think I was trying to run it as sudo:

elastic@ece1:~$ bash elastic-cloud-enterprise.sh install
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/data’: Permission denied

Did you definitely do this step?

sudo install -o $USER -g $USER -d -m 700 /mnt/data

(where $USER is elastic)

(EDIT: and can you check the perms of that dir regardless if you ran the above, eg maybe the command failed for some reason?)

Or if you did, are you definitely running the install as elastic?

If you're getting a permission denied, I think one of the above 2 things must be not happening?

Thanks, I did run that but it didn't stick for some reason.

It stuck and now the installer is running. I am hitting one error with bootstrap.

Errors have caused Elastic Cloud Enterprise installation to fail
Bootstrap monitoring process did not exit as expected
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/elastic_cloud_apps/bootstrap-initiator/initiator.py", line 76, in <module>
    exitcode = monitor.logging_and_bootstrap_monitor(bootstrap_properties, enable_debug)
  File "/elastic_cloud_apps/bootstrap-initiator/bootstrap_initiator/monitor.py", line 25, in logging_and_bootstrap_monitor
    raise BootstrapMonitoringException('Bootstrap monitoring process did not exit as expected')
bootstrap_initiator.monitor.BootstrapMonitoringException: Bootstrap monitoring process did not exit as expected

I checked the log folder and couldn't find a log to check for additional details.

elastic@ece1:/mnt/data/elastic/logs/bootstrap-logs$ ll
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 elastic elastic  0 Aug  1 15:29 ./
drwxr-xr-x 1 elastic elastic 28 Aug  1 15:29 ../

When I check docker it show there are no running containers:

elastic@ece1:/mnt/data/elastic$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE               COMMAND             CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES

Only the ECE Image is on the machine:
elastic@ece1:~$ docker images
REPOSITORY TAG IMAGE ID CREATED SIZE
docker.elastic.co/cloud-enterprise/elastic-cloud-enterprise 1.1.4 00b518b576ef 7 weeks ago 422.1 MB

I double checked the permissions on /mnt/data and did another run which produced the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py", line 249, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/process.py", line 93, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/elastic_cloud_apps/bootstrap-initiator/bootstrap_initiator/logging.py", line 85, in monit                                                                                                      or_bootstrap_log
    raise IOError("{0}/logs/bootstrap-logs/bootstrap.log doesn't exist after 2 mins of retrying".f                                                                                                      ormat(bootstrap_properties['HOST_STORAGE_PATH']))
OSError: /mnt/data/elastic/logs/bootstrap-logs/bootstrap.log doesn't exist after 2 mins of retryin                                                                                                      g
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/elastic_cloud_apps/bootstrap-initiator/initiator.py", line 76, in <module>
    exitcode = monitor.logging_and_bootstrap_monitor(bootstrap_properties, enable_debug)
  File "/elastic_cloud_apps/bootstrap-initiator/bootstrap_initiator/monitor.py", line 18, in logging_and_bootstrap_monitor
    sleep(5)

I might just need to delete the folder and reinstall docker. I'll give that a try later today.

@Archness, makes sense - my normal suggestion if perms of /mnt/data get messed up is to reinstall everything from scratch :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.