Unable to automatize rollover using "index templates"

Hi,

The indices of my ES cluster are structured as follows:

deviceA-2018    (size 5gb)
deviceA-2019    (size 1gb)
deviceB-2019    (size 100gb)

The deviceIDs are dynamic and unknown a priori and the indices sizes vary too much between them.

For automatization of index creation I am using "index templates" (e.g. set number of shards). This mechanism is very convenient because the indexation is made via Apache Storm and I do not need to take care of the existance of the index; if it does not exists, it is created with the template settings and if exists, the data is indexed directly.

PUT _template/device_template
{
  "index_patterns": ["*-*"],
  "settings": {
    "number_of_shards": 5
  },
}

For performance reasons I am restricting the max size of an index using "rollover" functionality.

PUT _ilm/policy/device_policy
{
  "policy": {
    "phases": {
      "hot": {
        "actions": {
          "rollover": {
            "max_size": "30GB"
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}
PUT _template/deviceA_template
{
  "index_patterns": ["deviceA-2019-*"],
  },
    "index.lifecycle.name": "device_policy",
    "index.lifecycle.rollover_alias": "deviceA-2019"
  }
}
PUT deviceA-2019-000001
{
  "aliases": {
    "deviceA-2019": {
      "is_write_index": true
    }
  }
}

My problem is that I cannot use these two features in conjuction in an automatic way. The configuration that I tried to use but does not work is:

{
  "index_patterns": ["*-*-000001"],
  },
    "index.lifecycle.rollover_alias": "{indexWITHOUTrolloverID}" //e.g. deviceA-2019
  },
 "aliases": {
    "{indexWITHOUTrolloverID}": { //e.g. deviceA-2019
      "is_write_index": true
    }
  }
}

{
  "index_patterns": ["*-*-!00001"],
  },
    "index.lifecycle.rollover_alias": "{indexWITHOUTrolloverID}" //e.g. deviceA-2019
  },
}

The problem that appears in this issue is very similar to my problem (https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/27967). Notice that this issue appears in kibana repo but it it is not related with kibana but with elasticsearch.

Is there any way to do delegate the creation of a index on demand by ElasticSearch with rollover enabled?

Thank you for your help!

Hi @pispo,

I am afraid not at present. Setting up the alias and index for use with ilm is a bit cumbersome as described in: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/42245.

You have to setup the first index and alias manually (or in your integration with Elasticsearch) for now.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.