Unable to establish connection between Logstash and Elasticsearch to parse iis log files

(SRI HARSHA KOMMANA) #1

Installed : Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash (All 3 are of version 6.1)
Log type : iis

This is my config file for Logstash

input {
    file {
        type => "iis-w3c"
        path => "/home/harsha/test.log"
        start_position => "beginning"
        sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
    }
}

filter {
    if [message] =~ "^#" {
        drop {}
}

grok {
    match => ["message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:log_timestamp} %{WORD:serviceName} %{WORD:serverName} %{IP:serverIP} %{WORD:method} %{URIPATH:uriStem} %{NOTSPACE:uriQuery} %{NUMBER:port} %{NOTSPACE:username} %{IPORHOST:clientIP} %{NOTSPACE:protocolVersion} %{NOTSPACE:userAgent} %{NOTSPACE:cookie} %{NOTSPACE:referer} %{NOTSPACE:requestHost} %{NUMBER:response} %{NUMBER:subresponse} %{NUMBER:win32response} %{NUMBER:bytesSent} %{NUMBER:bytesReceived} %{NUMBER:timetaken} %{IPORHOST:OriginalIP}"]
}

date {
    match => [ "log_timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    timezone => "Etc/UTC"
}

mutate {
    convert => ["bytesSent", "integer"]
    convert => ["bytesReceived", "integer"]
    convert => ["timetaken", "integer"]

add_field => { "clientHostname" => "%{clientIP}" }

remove_field => [ "log_timestamp"]
}
}

output {
elasticsearch {
    embedded => false
    host => "localhost"
    port => 9200
    protocol => "http"
    index => "my_index"
}

stdout {codec => rubydebug}
}

This is in the correct location etc/logstash/conf.d

I have ES installed and localhost:9200 is giving me what it is supposed to.
I have kibana installed as well and it is correctly configured to ES.

(Do I need to create the index beforehand in ES?, because I didn't.)

When I start Logstash using this "sudo systemctl start logstash.service" nothing is happening.

The test.log file is in the correct location and an example line of it is

2018-01-24 23:59:51 W3SVC11 happyweb 10.2.0.5 GET /blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Mobile-accessories-min.jpg - 443 - 172.68.58.11 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.0;+Trident/5.0;++Trident/5.0) __cfduid=d422c9e6ed63a5957e526427f6341b8891516838382 - 200 0 0 50988 617 485 131.253.25.73

I have tested this with my format using grok debugger and the filters are fine according to it.
So I don't know what is missing. Can someone please help me figure it out?

(Magnus Bäck) #2

Logstash is tailing test.log and only picks up new lines. Read the file input documentation and pay special attention to the sincedb_path and start_position options.

(SRI HARSHA KOMMANA) #3

Thanks @magnusbaeck , but what do I have to do to index already existing logs into ES. I even added a few new lines to the test.log file and even they are not being inserted into ES and I checked the status of Logstash and it is up and running.

(Guy Boertje) #5

Your elasticsearch output section looks like it was copied from a very old example, in fact localhost and 9200 are the defaults so they don't need to be specified. It should look something like this:

elasticsearch {
    index => "my_index"
  }

IMO, the Logstash service is being continually restarted because the service is exiting with a configuration error message that is being logged to the journalctl logs.

You can download another copy of Logstash to a different folder and run it manually. What do you see in the console?

(SRI HARSHA KOMMANA) #6

Thanks for the answer, it helped but the reason why my logs weren't indexed is because of the data directory used by Logstash. So I changed the path and gave a new directory and it worked fine.

Anyways is there any hack around this? I am experimenting with the ElasticStack and each time I change my configuration I need to give Logstash a new directory for it's data. Thank you :slight_smile:

(Guy Boertje) #7

Read this https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-inputs-file.html#_tracking_of_current_position_in_watched_files

(SRI HARSHA KOMMANA) #8

Thank you very much @guyboertje

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.