"Unable to upgrade the mappings for the index" error when migrating index from 1.x to 2.x

I'm trying to snapshot an index in 1.7.2 and restore it in another cluster 2.4.0.
Snapshot created successfully and "published" as URL. When I try to restore on the new cluster I get:

{
_ "error": {_
_ "root_cause": [_
_ {_
_ "type": "snapshot_restore_exception",_
_ "reason": "[test_restore:snapshot1] cannot restore index [logstash-2016.10.11] because it cannot be upgraded"_
_ }_
_ ],_
_ "type": "snapshot_restore_exception",_
_ "reason": "[test_restore:snapshot1] cannot restore index [logstash-2016.10.11] because it cannot be upgraded",_
_ "caused_by": {_
_ "type": "illegal_state_exception",_
_ "reason": "unable to upgrade the mappings for the index [logstash-2016.10.11], reason: [mapper [timestamp] cannot be changed from type [string] to [date]]",_
_ "caused_by": {_
_ "type": "illegal_argument_exception",_
_ "reason": "mapper [timestamp] cannot be changed from type [string] to [date]"_
_ }_
_ }_
_ },_
_ "status": 500_
}

I ran migration checker for the index on the old cluster and it reports that everithing is green.

Old and new clusters configured very similar to ingest logs from logstash. If I look into documents in old and new cluster I don't see significant difference, example:

From old:

"_source": {
"@timestamp": "2016-10-18T14:00:38.486Z",
"fields": {
"@timestamp": [
]

From new:

"_source": {
"@timestamp": "2016-10-18T13:26:26.247Z",
"fields": {
"@timestamp": [
]

As I understood from other posts, I will need to reindex, so this seems like a migration checker issue, it didn't identify the issue...

try to stream it from one to the other with stream2es. If a valid template is setup on your target it will stream in and take the new schema.

Can you paste the GET /logstash-2016.10.11/_mapping output from your old 1.7.2 cluster?

I suspect the timestamp field is not actually a date, but rather a string. If that's true, the input data is actually a string and not directly upgradeable to a date.

logstash-2016.10.11 has been already deleted. I'm checking on another indices. I ran migration checker on two indices logstash-2016.10.17 and logstash-2016.10.19. The first one is OK (and migration itself was successful!), for the second I do got a warning:
Conflicting field mappings
Mapping for field log:timestamp conflicts with: syslog:timestamp. Check parameters: format, norms.enabled, type

Here are snippets for mapping.

========= for logstash-2016.10.17 =============

grep -C 3 timestamp mapping17.json
"enabled" : true
},
"properties" : {
"@timestamp" : {
"type" : "date",
"format" : "dateOptionalTime"
},

},
      },

--
}
}
},
"timestamp" : {
"type" : "string",
"norms" : {
"enabled" : false

},
      },

========= for mapping19.json =========

grep -C 3 timestamp mapping19.json
},
},

}
        }
      },
      },

--
},
},

}
        }
      },
        "type" : "string",
        "norms" : {
          "enabled" : false

--
},
},

Could you gist the entire response up somewhere (I usually use Github's Gist service)? Hard to read with individual snippets, not enough context :slight_smile:

It looks like one of the "timestamp" fields is a string with norms enabled, while another is just a date, which is causing the exception. But importantly, they appear to be in different types (which is what's causing the error message "log:timestamp conflicts with: syslog:timestamp."), but in the same index. In ES 2.x+, types are no longer allowed to have conflicting mappings.

You can read more about that here:

Again, I'm not positive (would need to see the entire mapping in context to be sure), but that looks like a potential problem. So you'll need to verify that any types in a single index have a unified, non-conflicting mapping.