Unanalyzed string vs long on es 5.0

All my rows in my table have a unique integer + unique slug (unchangable).

Is it a lot better to index a numeric field compared to string (based on changes on es 5)?

String is more readable when debugging, but if it's a big difference in size/ then I'll go for integers.

I will only index, not _store / _source.

Thank You!

bump (after 2 days is enough I think)

I'd use the slug as the _id of the document so long as it is reasonably short. We already index _uid (type + id) as a string so you may as well use it.

@nik9000

Note that I'm asking what to store as a field in the mapping, not "_id". But something like "field_id" that I will later filter on (only on equality, no ranges).

And I'm telling you that you can get away with adding neither to your mapping and using the slug as the id.

I don't know off hand whether it'd be better to add a string or a number to the mapping. It is worth testing, I think. So long as you won't be aggregating or sorting on the field I'd turn off doc_values for it to save space.

... I'm saying that will have other documents on es that will have a field called "field_id" that I will use to filter on. That "thing_id" can be either string/long.

I wasn't asking about storing the original "thing" document on es.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.