"nested" : {
            "path" : "points",
            "query": {
                "exists" : { "field" : "points" }
            }
        }
    }
}

but when I do an aggregation query, using the term "points" doesn't work and I have to do points.x or points.y.

For example this query works:

{
    "aggregations" : {
        "nested_layer" : {
            "nested": {
                "path": "points"
            },
            "aggregations" : {
                "result" : {
                    "value_count": {"field": "points.x"}
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

and it will return the number of points I have (another way to think of it is that it will return the number of documents I have once Elasticsearch splits each nested type into its own document). However, if I replace points.x with just points, the query doesn't work anymore.

My question is this: if elasticsearch internally represents nested type "points" as "points.x" and "points.y" then how was the first query able to understand when I said "field": "points"? My second question is why am I not able to use "field": "points" in the aggregation query if I was able to use it in the first query? And lastly, is there a way I can write a value_count query so that it will return the number of documents that contain the field "points" and not the number internally represented documents where "points" are all separated out?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.