Unknown repository type s3 when creating snapshot in 2.x

Hi,

I am trying to create an S3 repository using the exact same method (on the exact same server) that works fine on 1.7.

Request:

curl -XPUT "http://127.0.0.1:9200/_snapshot/s3autosnapshots" -d '{ "type": "s3", "settings": { "bucket": "xxx", "base_path": "production", "region": "us-west-2" } }'

Response:

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"repository_exception","reason":"[s3autosnapshots] failed to create repository"}],"type":"repository_exception","reason":"[s3autosnapshots] failed to create repository","caused_by":{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"Unknown [repository] type [s3]"}},"status":500}

Same error in 2.0.1 and 2.1. I have installed the cloud-aws plugin in each case.

Can you share the output of:

GET _cat/plugins?v

And also your elasticsearch.yml (anonymized)?

1 Like

Thanks for your help,

The plugin cat showed up completely blank - even though I was already using the kopf plugin.

I started from scratch with a blank elasticsearch.yml and suddenly it (S3 repository) began working properly, and the plugin list was there too.

There must be some incompatible options from the config I had been using in 1.7, which I'll need to go through now.

May be you did not restart your node?
But for sure plugins for 1.7 are incompatibles with 2.0 and you absolutely need to update them as well.

Definitely restarted - I saw the correction version displayed in the kopf node list.

Also definitely removed and reinstalled the plugins (new versions)

I also got this error, initially I installed aws-cloud plugin only on one node and restated then I got this error.
After that installed aws-cloud on all nodes then restated all plugins then it worked.